DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been alot of discussion about the "Drone". I got a chance to open her up on the highway..

My setup is currently the DynaTech SuperMaxx long tube headers with the Borla Catback sport exhaust (no resonators)

The car is noticably loud during acceleration and has a nice rumble while cruising..

I had to make about a 10 mile run on 95s (speed limit 65).. As for a drone, I really didnt notice any resonant noices that were annoying to be honest. However, the exhaust IS loud enough to hear MDS kick on and off.. This is most noticable with cruise control on at 70mph (RPMs about 2000 in 5th). Since the highway has gentle rolling hills, I thought this would be a good test for the Drone effect.
When MDS kicks in, it is a noticable bauble in the exhaust.. not annoying, but, since you can hear the engine, you notice the pitch change.. As the car goes up a hill and cruise control tries to compensate, the engine rpms increase slightly with MDS still on.. as the load increases, MDS kicks off, the car surges slightly and the rpms decrease (now with 8 cylinders, it takes less to pull is my guess).. Wierd.. but not "chineese water torture"..

I never did get what I would consider to be a Drone, but as I said, I listen very closely to the engine pitch and exhaust flow and you can "hear" what is going on.

On a side note, I took GT (another RT Hemi owner from this forum) for a drive
and he said he definitely notices the increase in scoot with the headers and exhaust.. ;)

I have to say, I am eyeing that s/c though.. :rck:

I will try and get some sound bytes to post.. I have an audio phile friend with high end recording equipment. Maybe I can talk him into going for a ride and capturing some sound :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
With stock muffler and no resonators 68-72 MPH gives ME a drone and vibration that's akin to riding the shoulder of a road that has been cut with slots to wake you if you nod out while driving. The drone is like a B52 flying up your wazoo! I don't mind it but I know others here would not be able to tolerate it. I'm giving you this info so you know where to expect it to occur. If I had the bucks I would go Borla 112.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.