DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 ram's black foam panel under the hood is falling out, and almost laying on the engine when shut. (I would guess, I can't see it when it's shut :D ) Most of the places with the plastic clips are torn out, so I really don't think I could get it back in place. Can anyone give me a reason not to just tear it all out and forget about it? I don't care about increase in noise. I guess basically the only thing I would be afraid of is maybe heat bubbling the paint on the hood, but I SEROUSLY doubt that. So, anyone think of a reason I shouldn't tear it out?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
They are also designed to protect your hood/paint against heat, but I ran my first truck without one for 2 years and never experienced any blemishes or problems from the heat, even when the engine overheated and died (yes it was a chebby), the hood was still in great condition.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I think it is actually designed for sound reasons more then paint protection. Also heard someone say once that it is there to put out an engine fire. If your engine catches on fire, it will fall down and smother the fire out. Sound deadining seems more likely to me though.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
It helps with sound and also keeps your truck warmer in the winter, as less hot air will escape out your hood.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
99ram318 said:
Silver_DodgeRam said:
If your engine catches on fire, it will fall down and smother the fire out. QUOTE]
Hmmm, that's interesting.
I don't really buy into this theory much, just something I once heard.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cool, I wondered about the whole paint thing too. Mine is probably getting in the way of my intake.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, if heat really is an issue, which it isn't, I removed foam from under the hood of my snowmobile, and covered the underside of it with reflextive aluminum tape. It would take A LOT of tape to do a ram hood though.....

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Mine doesn't have one. Never did. No problems here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O.K., pulled it out. Guess what I found? HUGE mouse nest on top of it. Also, about a year ago I got a mouse nest in my intake. Guess where he got his nest material from? Glad I pulled it out already, and I haven't even started it yet.

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
01_OffRoad said:
Mine doesn't have one. Never did. No problems here.
Hmmm, mine has one. Interesting that some don't, I wonder if this was an option or something. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Let me correct my statement.... It's never had one since I've owned it.

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
OIC

·
Registered
266 Posts
99ram318 said:
O.K., pulled it out. Guess what I found? HUGE mouse nest on top of it. Also, about a year ago I got a mouse nest in my intake. Guess where he got his nest material from? Glad I pulled it out already, and I haven't even started it yet.
Could ya tell if it was a stock mouse or a highly modded mouse? And are you sure that wasn't an aftermarket air filter you ripped out? God knows its hard to tell these days!! :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
if anybody wants a hood WITH a liner ive still got my stock hood just sitting in the garage. id take 50 bucks plus shippin for it. by the way its painted emerald green metallic

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Drove to work this morning. Noticed NO difference in noise at all. Glad to have that mouse house lumber outta der.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
it's not for sound deadening or insulation, it's for smothering engine fires.
Those plastic clips are designed to melt and drop the poly-fiber cloth down onto the engine to smother the fire.
One of the safety features they added, like the 'break away' motor mounts designed to drop the engine/tranny onto the suspension in the event of a severe frontal crash...better that than have it in the floor board where your legs used to be.

·
i yell at microphones.
209 Posts
94MOPAR5.9 said:
if anybody wants a hood WITH a liner ive still got my stock hood just sitting in the garage. id take 50 bucks plus shippin for it. by the way its painted emerald green metallic
agh! i need a new one! but i just spent hood money by throwing in for a new pa :rck: ....damn...i wouldve taken that off yoru hands no problems...30 minutes ago :mad:
eh...maybe youll still have it when i have the dough to pay for it lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.