DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently picked up an 06 quad cab dakota slt. I noticed there is shuddering of the whole truck ONLY when I'm going up a steep incline in reverse and ONLY in 2k RPM only. I usually press the gas pedal to go up the hill faster with no vibration. Does anyone else truck do this? The truck needs to reach 2k RPM before the truck starts shaking....once you pass 2krpm then it's ok. It does not do it on level ground.

·
just starting
323 Posts
How steep of an incline?
Either way it's not normal
I know my 05 does not do it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update:

I went to Dodge and spoke with the service manager, he said it is a common characteristic of the truck because of the ratio of the torque conversion to transmission. He said if its only doing it on those specific conditions, then its what Chrysler consider normal operation.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Darknachos said:
went to Dodge and spoke with the service manager, he said it is a common characteristic of the truck because of the ratio of the torque conversion to transmission. He said if its only doing it on those specific conditions, then its what Chrysler consider normal operation.
Certainly don't profess to know, and have been wrong before, but I call bullshi_. ... I'd watch/look for a cause.
... Besides possible trans or wrong fluid issues; is fluid level being checked correctly?
... Assuming it has rear leaf springs, guessing weak/soft or broken leaf/s might cause it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
who knows.... But what convinced me was that the same transmission is in these jeeps

wranglerforum.com/f274/jk-shakes-in-reverse-on-incline-217019.html

I also changed the transmission filter, and cleaned and reapplied mopar silicone on the transmission pan. Changed the transmission fluid and still same issue.

·
just starting
323 Posts
I call bullshit on the service advisor too.
My truck does not do it
There's nothing normal or common about any vehicle to shutter in any gear unless it's in 4low in a manual or something.
And the jeeps I would think is the rear diff characteristics not the tranny.

·
just starting
323 Posts
Was able to look at that jeep thread. Very interesting that it's noted by Chrysler but offers no fix or even an explanation for the cause.
Have you had a flush lately? Maybe take it to programming?
This is really going to bother me due to there is no definitive answer.
I worked at a dodge dealer and know some great mechanics and good service manager who will shoot me straight forward. I'll ask them next time I drop by
Because I refuse to believe this is "common"

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Does it have to be moving in R on the 30* incline, or does it do it when stationary(before it starts moving up the hill)? is reverse slipping after it reaches 2000+ rpm?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for looking into this issue for me guys.

Now, the shuddering only happens in these specific circumstances.

A) in reverse
B) on an incline
C) slowly accelerating the gas pedal and working your way up to 2k rpm, right around 1550rpm

Now I did try holding the brake and gas pedal on reverse on flat ground and on an incline and I was UNABLE to get the shuddering.

The shuddering only happens at a specific point while traveling up to 2krpm. It does not happen while reaching 1500rrpm or when going over 2k rpm only in between 1500 and 2k at that specific point.

I can not replicate this problem under other circumstances, only happens under those specific circumstances.

Now, I also googled the dodge caravan and some of the dodge ram also have this same problem. Now if you accelerate at a good enough rate it will not vibrate only while accelerating slowly in reverse up on incline.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.