DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buffing my durango (black) and i noticed that while i'm buffing with a high speed (non-orbital) i will get what appears to be burnt paint. however, it's just residue left over from my polish.
what can i do to remove this easier seeing as it's pretty hard to rub out and i'm afraid to burn the paint???

should i be running at a higher speed? i'm on level 2 of 5 to just remove spider webs???

what products do you recommend. i'm currently using megauais step 2 polish just to remove the fine scratches.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
pickup some 3M scratch remover. Borrow or buy a random orbital buffer. If you've never used a high speed one you could burn your paint real easy

·
Yo Daddy
1,414 Posts
Are you just having trouble removing the polish once you have buffed it? To make it easier to wipe off, spray some detail spray then wipe the area down.

If not then it sounds like you hazed the finish. You will need to step down to a finer abrasive polish and pad combo. Buff the area again with the less abrasive combo, then go over it with a non cutting polish and pad, then wax.

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i'm must having problems removing the remaining polish after buffing.
i should spray the detailing on before or after buffing?

·
Yo Daddy
1,414 Posts
Squirt the polish on the finish, smear it around, then start buffing. Once you finish buffing that area, spray some detail spray on the hazed polish. Then just wipe off. Makes it easier, sometimes, the polish is kind of hard to remove. Make sure that your using micro fiber to wipe off.

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here are my results from todays buffing. still could use a bit more finessing, but it's getting there.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
There is not much a better sight than a freshly detailed machine! Great job and your hard work really paid off! :gr_patrio

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brad- i see your a adams polish distributor. do you guys have a product catalog i could have sent to me. i'm looking at completely restocking all my pads, and upgrading buffing machines. let me know if you have something you could send me.

·
Registered
410 Posts
cbrenn71 said:
Brad- i see your a adams polish distributor. do you guys have a product catalog i could have sent to me. i'm looking at completely restocking all my pads, and upgrading buffing machines. let me know if you have something you could send me.
cbrenn71,
Thanks for your interest in Adam's! Our product pamphlets do not contain our entire product line but I'd be happy to send one to you, all of our products are listed on our website. If you have any specific questions on any of our products, I'll do my best to answer them, or you can call our toll free number and talk to Heather.
Brad

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, my main questions are what do i need as far as pads to remove spider webs and light clear coat scratches, not in the durango so to speak, but other vehicles as well. I want to be able to do a little cutting but minimal.

what is the shipping rate on items?

·
Registered
410 Posts
cbrenn71 said:
well, my main questions are what do i need as far as pads to remove spider webs and light clear coat scratches, not in the durango so to speak, but other vehicles as well. I want to be able to do a little cutting but minimal.

what is the shipping rate on items?
The products I recommend for removing the dreaded 'spider webs' are: our black polishing pad $9.95, http://www.adamspolishes.com/site/product.cfm?id=567A4246-59F4-4CD3-9612FC0E8E5A9D5C 2-3 squirts of our "Revive" along with a squirt of "Swirl Remover" on the pad. I highly recommend if you visit our website, watch the instructional video on "Polishing". There are a lot of good tips on polishing in the video.

Shipping on products depends solely on the weight. We do not inflate shipping costs. What UPS charges us is what we charge, and our "Free Shipping" still applies to all orders over $99.00. Depending on the total amount of your order, your "Dodge" discount normally covers most of the shipping charges.

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
410 Posts
cbrenn71 said:
brad- i am using the vector polisher/buffer. it uses a 5/8's arbor. however, the backing plate is a female end. i can only seem to find the backing plates with the male end with the buffer being the female.

basically, i am looking for the opposite of this :http://www.adamspolishes.com/site/product.cfm?id=6FC93478-7D29-4C91-B2B5D9CE16719E1B

do you stock any female backing plates?
Sorry, can't help you there. We only carry backing plates with the male stud. You may try giving this company a call, it seems they have a lot of Vector Products:
http://www.svbarrisol.com/buffers-polishers,c42266,1,ur.html

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
will any 7'' backing plate be compatible with your pads? it looks like i'll really only need the black final polish pad and possibly a yellow polish pad but i want them to be compatible.

·
Yo Daddy
1,414 Posts
I think teh adams pads are only 6". So a 5"or6" would work with theirs. 7", the backing plate will hang over the pad.

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmm, maybe your right. i guess those porter cable pads are for a dual action (orbital) 6'' polisher?

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it doesn't really matter what size backing plate i get really. i guess i'll just get the size the local paint shop supplies. that way i can stock up as needed. i just dont have a velcro backing plate is all and i need to switch over

·
Yo Daddy
1,414 Posts
The backing plate needs to be smaller than the pad, other wise your gonna do some damage to the finish. For a high speed I would stay with a 7" backing plate and maybe a 7.5" pad. I always feel more comfortable when I have a little space between the backing plate and edge of the pad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.