DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Christopher
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the PCM be reset by removing the positive battery cable(s) from the battery and touching them to the ground for about 30 seconds?

If so, I assume that both batteries would need to be disconnected, correct?

Thanks... Christopher

·
Misery
579 Posts
You would need to disconnect the vehicle from the power source which would probably mean both batteries. If you do not the positive would arc on the negative of the other battery. I have heard and did the pcm reset but have not heart of a certain amount of time you must leave it. I believe it shorts instantly but could be wrong as i have been there before :)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
probably best bet is to unhook both negatives and go in the cab and turn the key to "start" for about 15-20 seconds. it should drain the ecu and any back up memories

·
Registered
762 Posts
Can the PCM be reset by removing the positive battery cable(s) from the battery and touching them to the ground for about 30 seconds?

If so, I assume that both batteries would need to be disconnected, correct?

Thanks... Christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophercale
Does this work for the CTD also? If so, I assume that this would need to be done on both batteries at the same time, correct?

Thanks -

Christopher

My reply. This is the ONLY Way to fully clear the ECU.

Disconnect BOTH batteries Pos and Neg.

Ground the Pos from the battery "closest" to the ECU. Get what I mean?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I heard that you just unplug you pcm fuse which for the 06 is number 31 and turn your key as if you is going to start you truck until you hear two chimes and plug the fuse back in and you're doing. I guess that that will do it to, they tell me back in the home that there is more than one way to skin a cat or something like that.:D

·
Registered
762 Posts
I heard that you just unplug you pcm fuse which for the 06 is number 31 and turn your key as if you is going to start you truck until you hear two chimes and plug the fuse back in and you're doing. I guess that that will do it to, they tell me back in the home that there is more than one way to skin a cat or something like that.:D
Yes, there are about a dozen ways to skin this cat, but only the method I listed here will clear it 100%

For those who may have missed my original post on how to do this, the reason this method clears it completely, is that it drains the capacitors in the ECU. No other method does this. No matter how long you turn the key, bark at the moon, scratch you sack, it won't drain the capacitors. :)

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Oh, I learn something new today and I think that I will go and do it that way. Thanks

·
Mopar from Birth
594 Posts
Ok Just to clear this up, never cross connect your cables. what Don Vito said work but it is the short cut way to do it. That should be used as a last resort. I am not trying to be rude but I do have an electronics degree. Shorting positive to ground does discharge caps and filters but can be just as bad as positive to ground with the negative still conected.

The best way is to disconnect both negatives, this revoves the power source. Then positives if you want it completely out of the loop. You always disconnect negative then positive, and reconnect positive then negative.

Then you can turn the key over, or turn on anything your wanting power to be completely removed from.

But the simplest way that has been out since PCM/ECU have been installed is to remove your negative(s) cable for at least 30 seconds. The time is just to allow the caps to discharge completely. I can go into detail on the power/memory but most don't care.

So to make a long story short, lol too late.

Just remove your negatives from the batteries completely, go use the restroom/smoke/etc, then put them back on.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My replies will be in bold. No, not trying to start any shit either, just state proven facts from years of doing this.

Ok Just to clear this up, never cross connect your cables. what Don Vito said work but it is the short cut way to do it.
Yes, may be a "short" way of doing it, but only way to completely clear the ECU to 100% stock as from the factory.

That should be used as a last resort.
No, it should be used an a definitive way to clear the ECU.

I am not trying to be rude but I do have an electronics degree.
Not trying to be rude either.....Remember, sometimes Theory is not always 100% accurate.

Shorting positive to ground does discharge caps and filters but can be just as bad as positive to ground with the negative still connected.

The battery negative is far from the only ground on these things. Years of doing this has resulted in ZERO failures from it.

The best way is to disconnect both negatives, this removes the power source. Then positives if you want it completely out of the loop. You always disconnect negative then positive, and reconnect positive then negative.

Yes and No. Disconnecting the Positive only is as safe as the person doing it. Sparks are spark, and either cable can spark in this case. In the case of dual batteries, all cables must be disconnected.

Then you can turn the key over, or turn on anything your wanting power to be completely removed from.

This does not drain 100% and can be shown when the desired results don't happen.

But the simplest way that has been out since PCM/ECU have been installed is to remove your negative(s) cable for at least 30 seconds. The time is just to allow the caps to discharge completely. I can go into detail on the power/memory but most don't care.

No matter the amount of 'seconds", it will not completely clear it. Like has been said before, it just does not do it. Capacitors, depending on the size, can hold a charge for months. Yes, even some "small" ones like in the ECU. So if you want to clear them by the "time based" method, better have a long time to wait, and then check to be sure you waited long enough.

So to make a long story short, lol too late.

Don't worry about long stories, it helps others to learn.

Just remove your negatives from the batteries completely, go use the restroom/smoke/etc, then put them back on.
I won't repeat myself again, I have said it enough. If someone cares to prove me wrong in real life, not theory, please show me. I am willing to learn and have no problem admitting when I am wrong.

One last saying I will leave you with.....one of my Professors would always say this-

I am moving to Theory...... Everything works there.

·
Mopar from Birth
594 Posts
Your right, there will be an amount of voltage still retained. And that depends on what all is connected in that loop and wether powered on or off. A charged cap disconnected from any thing that could draw power could hold a charge for a very long time.

The memory you are wanting to clear is a volatile type memory. There is a minimum amount required to power a volatile memory. Once it is removed, the memory is gone. So any storage components will have a low hold. Hence the small amount of time recommended to wait.

I usually don't put my 2 cents in unless I know what I am talking about. I don't claim to be exactly right, but I do know the proper way to work with electronics.

All of electrical power was a theory at one time, but many things have now been proven. Like voltage/current flowing positive to negative. That was wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.