DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to replace the serpentine belt on my '01 Ram 4x4 with the 318, and after hearing it scream, and buying a new belt, I was thinking about bringing it to a shop, and then have a friend come help me out, but being that money is tight, I'll be doing it myself.

I was just wondering if there is anyting aside from what I've read in the repair manual. I kow that I'll be loosening the tensioner and then remove and replace the belt, but is there anything else that I should be paying attention to?

Need your help on this one guys since I'm doing it on my own....:rck:

Any advice you can share is greatly appreciated!

Aloha,
Paele

·
Registered
736 Posts
its pretty straight forward and really hard to mess up. as long as you get the belt routed correctly. hardest part will be taking off the clutch fan and if i remember correctly you dont really need to take it off.

i routed it, pulled the tensioner loose, put it over the tensioner, and then put it on the alternator last.

·
^GM Goodwrench Certified^
2,918 Posts
you do not have to take the fan or clutch off. here is the belt routing for 2001 5.2L ram:

with A/C

1 - GENERATOR PULLEY
2 - A/C PULLEY
3 - POWER STEERING PULLEY
4 - CRANKSHAFT PULLEY
5 - WATER PUMP PULLEY
6 - TENSIONER PULLEY
7 - IDLER PULLEY

Without A/C

1 - GENERATOR PULLEY
2 - IDLER PULLEY
3 - POWER STEERING PULLEY
4 - CRANKSHAFT PULLEY
5 - WATER PUMP PULLEY
6 - TENSIONER PULLEY

·
Registered
736 Posts
i took my fan off for the winter and it wasnt on when i replaced my belt so i wasnt entirely sure about that. thanks for clearing that up

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
grab ahold firmly to your water pump pulley. if the tensioner was bad and clicking if the old 5 paddle fan was out of balance; sometimes this can work over a water pump bearing pretty bad. your checking for slop or bearing play. be prepared in the near future to replace it if so!

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Yes pay attention to how it come off and it will be easy

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
i thread everything on and use the idler pulley "#7 in pict" last. it has no shoulders on the belt slips over easy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if I'm following the illustration correctly provided by Palmentech766, I'll route the belt accordingly and then pull the belt over pulley's #2 & 5?

or do I just thread them along through each pulley?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, strike that....after looking and thinking about how the belt goes on, its looks like I'll be threading it through each pulley, and then pulling it underneath pulley #7....and tightening the tensioner....like spun360 mentioned....

·
disenchanted
438 Posts
15mm socket to fit tensioner

Push towards drivers side to release tension and work belt off

once out like stated above Check water pump for movement by Grabbing the "hub" and try to pull it up & down. If there is any play your waterpump is bad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Make sure you check each pulley for play, especially the idler pulley. Spin them all and listen carefully. It might not be the belt screaming, it might be bearing in one of the pulleys. When you reinstall the belt put the back of the belt on the smooth pulleys and the ribbed part on the ribbed pulleys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.