DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
laurie913
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the 3rd time my power steering pump has been replaced on my 1996 van 3.0. The last one was in March by a different mechanic. I also had the rack replaced because one of the lines was broken. Total cost of that adventure was $900. Well the pulley sheared off the pump yet again. So this time my brother and I replaced it here in the back yard.
After reading many posts and watching many how to videos we succeeded. This is how we did it. Jacked up front passenger side, used 6x6 blocks of wood to hold it up. (no jack stands) REMOVED the Harmonic Balancer. Took out the 2 front bolts and the hidden nut in the back. Removed the 3 hoses. The high pressure line is a 16 metric wrench. And dropped it out. Installed the new pulley on the pump shaft and reinstalled. To replace the broken line on the rack we lowered the rack removed the broken line. Bought a 1/4" x 24" long steel brake line, and a 1/4" compression fitting. Had to buff down the flares slightly on both ends. Cut the line and removed the 2 fittings that came with the line, replaced with the ones off the rack. Put the compression fitting on. Bent the line (gently) in a rough shape of the old line and installed. Made GENTLE modification to the line once installed. It's a 13m short wrench or brake line wrench. Replaced the balancer, added power steering fluid to the reservoir and turned the power steering pump by hand counter clockwise. This was to get the fluid into the lines so we can check for leaks. Lowered the van and started it. Checked for leaks. We are now up and driving at a cost of $95. I did have to rent the pulley installer for $35 put got that back when I returned it.

·
laurie913
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah we put the belt before lowering the van. It is so much easier to just remove the balancer. Gives plenty of room to get the pump in with the pulley on.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Wow. You saved more than some paid for their used vehicles :gr_patrio

Good job! AND...you have to satisfaction of knowing it's done right. :laugh

1 - 3 of 3 Posts