DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil pan has rusted thru in a few spots and i am planning on replacing it. The service manual states that you have to remove the intake manifold, i assume to be a ble to raise the engine High enough to get the pan out. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this without removing the intake???
This is on a 2000 2WD.
Any tips or other info is appreicated
Thanks,
Gary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, no responces, I guess I'll be the first. I started on it today. Man there is a ton of stuff to take off the top end to get the intake off. Drain Radiator, remove Coolant Over flow tank, Thottle body air hose and resonator, heater hoses,pvc hose, unplug all the sensors and then the coil packs. I got that far today.
Still have to pull the fuel rail and remove the Intake. Then unbolt the Exhaust corssover from the Manifolds(that'll be fun). Probolly won't get back to it until Monday.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
There is a ton of stuff to do!

Sounds like taking the one off of my 300zx.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You could have possibly gotten away with removing four of the intake bolt and replaced them with longer ones to place through the chain links to lift the motor up. Have done this with other applications and it saves a ton of work or worst yet is having to remove the complete motor to replace the pan or oil pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't taken the intake off yet so I'll look at that posibility but I think the reason for removing the intake is to be able to raise the engine High enough to get the pan out. There is only about 1 1/2 " clearance between the rear of the intake and the Cowl and it looks like the engine needs to go up about 3" to 4". I'll take measurements as I go.
Thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got back to it tuesday nite. Unbolted exhuast, left side was easy cause I had it apart last year to replace the exh. manifold gasket, right side the bolts broke because they were so rusted, no problem I'll just replace them.

Next, Unplugging the injectors was a chore and removing them was almost as much trouble as getting the coil packs out.
Unbolted the Engine mounts and tried rasing the engine. there was enough clearence to raise it up about an inch and a half creating about 2 1/2" cleance between the oil pan and the Frame, Not enough to get the pan out, looks like you need about 3 1/2 to 4" to get the pan out.
Guess I'll be removing the intake today.

FYI this truck has 107,000 miles on it and the only other thing replaced besides Oil & filter and the formentioned exh man. gasket has been the Tstat housing so thing don't want to come apart easily.

thanks for listening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.