DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 Ram 1500 with the Infinity 7-Speaker Non-nav 6-cd/mp3 sound system. In short, it sucks, absolutely crappy.

So, I picked up a Kenwood HU, new speakers for the 4 doors, and will be using a 4-channel and 2-channel amp and 10" sub from my 02 Ram. The new one is quad-cab, so I'm picking up a Q-Logic box that fits under the back seats. Basically, I'm replacing everything.

First of all, does anyone know if I'll have trouble with any other vehicle features with the factory HU gone? I do know that the 06 is different from previous years, with something called a CAN Bus. I've seen a few different products out there involving this -- Crutchfield offers a harness that requires you to bring in switched power and I think also has a lead that needs to go to the other side of the amp. I have also seen a product out there called a LAN interface, and another adapter that allows you to hook up an aftermarket HU to the factory amp and speakers (I want to replace it all). Both these items run around $80-100. What do I need? Is a simple harness enough?

Second, I would normally wire a system like this by running speaker wiring from my new amp and splicing into the wiring harness behind the deck. Because this truck as a factory amp located above the glove box, this will not be possible. Has anyone had success splicing into the speaker wires normally going to the out side of the factory amp? I'm not using the dash speakers because the poor positioning of these contributes to the bad sound.

I've been told that with the new doors on the 06 that most aftermarket 6x9's hit the door glass... only the tiny-magnet cheap ones work. I know in my 02 it was damn close with Polk 6x9s. Can anyone confirm this?

Any other tips on hooking this up? In theory the factory system would be awesome, but the quality is incredibly poor. I've heard far superior stock Infinity systems in other Chrysler vehicles, they just really cheaped out on this.

Thanks
Daren

·
BoJivin'
1,645 Posts
YOu should still be able to run the audio from your amp and splice into your radio behing the deck, cause you new radio will have a connector with the outputs there, other wise for the speakers just run the wire up to the connector at the amp and splice in there for each speaker. The door speakers though, you'll have to use the stock audio cables, because the wire from the cab to the door has a a connector where it exits the cab, there's no room to run new wires thru the plastic wrap.

Also, on the 6x9's I got some sony explodes to fit the front of my 04 w/ no problem, but if the speakers are too deep, get some hollow metal rod to make a spacer to extend the speaker off the door enough, then seal between the speaker and the door.

Plus I think some speakers come with the moutning hardware to push the spekaer out away from the door too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I didn't go with the Infinity Krappa system in my Ram cuz I had it in the Durango I had before this and it really really sucked. That being said the day after I purchased this truck I went to a car audio shop that by buddies work at and picked up some Alpine 6x9s for the front and some Alpine 5 1/2" for the back. I installed all of them and had no problems at all with anything hitting the glass.

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
I would have ordered the truck without the system so you dont have to worry about bypassing or even paying that extra money.

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I could have ordered the truck exactly to my specs... but I've been waiting on trading in my 02 to take advantage of the HUGE rebates ($7000) on 06's that were finally offered last week. I got the last 06 1500 Hemi 4x4 on the lot, luckily, it was exactly as I would have ordered (TRX4 Package) except for that Infinity system. Even that I thought would sound a lot better, and until I heard it I was going to keep it until the included 1 year Sirius subscription ran out.

Do you know what model Alpine 6x9's you used? Can anyboday confirm that the inside of the door on the 06 is actually different, and not just the door panel?

Does anyone have any specific info on the CAN BUS, and how it interoperates with the HU?

·
Registered
415 Posts
would you be interested in selling your head unit? PM me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In the front I have Alpine 6x9s SPS-69C2 250 Watt Peak 50 Watt RMS and in the back Alpine 5-1/4" SPS-13C2 175 Watt Peak 35 Watt RMS. As of right now I'm still using the stock head unit (gonna wait on the year of Sirius) and I'm happy with em but I'm sure I'll be a lot happier once I can get a better head unit and a decent 4 channel amp to power em.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
In my opinion the stock infinity speakers are great speakers, they just need a good head unit and some more power. I've got the infinity system in my truck and I put an alpine CDA-9833 unit in and it sounds incredible, even without an external amp.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If I'm not mistaken I belive they still have paper cones tho.

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah, you know keeping the stock Infinity system in there is just not an option. I like big sound and have never been one for stock anything as far as the stereo system goes.

I actually had high hopes for this Infinity, because I remember the Infinity system in my dad's '93 Grand Cherokee when it was new. I guess a lot has changed in 13 years. From some of these posts it sounds like a lot has changed in 2 years. The Infinity 7-speaker non-nav 6-cd/mp3 system in my 06 QC sounds like CRAP. Can I get a "hell yeah" from any other 06 owners out there?

Has ANYONE out there done a complete replacement on this thing? What I really need to know is where you pulled switched power from for the deck, what did you do about the CAN Bus if anything, and did you wire to each door from your amp, or did you splice in from the factory amp location?

This is is probably way out there, but has anyone actually tried replacing the connector on the stock Sirius antenna with a standard SMB connector and hooking it up to an aftermarket Sirius tuner?

Any help is appreciated,
Daren

·
BoJivin'
1,645 Posts
does the stock sirius receiver not work with other radios? seems odd that they would do that, or is the receiver built into the HU? Also on the connector for the antenna, you should be able to goto radio shack or even and on-line place and get and adapter to make is a SMB. I know for a fact you can get an adapter from one cale connector to another no matter what they are. I work on radios all day so we have to do this quite a bit to save time on installs or to get a test set-up to work.

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The stock Sirius tuner is separate from the HU, located above the glove box in my 06 Ram. The tuner is dependent on the brand of HU... Kenwood, Alpine, Eclipse, etc... all have their own specific Sirius tuner. I guess a little standardization is just too much to ask for.

I use to do a lot of work with RF stuff, and it seems to me that using the factory antenna should merely be a matter of chopping off the weird factory connector and crimping on the standard SMB type that my Kenwood tuner requires. Haven't been able to find anyone who has actually done this -- I think I'm going to give it a try.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looking at the wires on the 2 antennas I installed on my past 2 rigs it looks like it would be really easy to use the factory antenna. Like you said just clip the factory clip thing off and splice the new adapter plug thing in.

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE: Okay I got the new system in the truck tonight, it sounds about a million times better than the factory Infinity.

I put in a Kenwood deck, aftermarket Sirius tuner in place of the stock tuner, Polk db 6x9s in the front doors, Kenwood Excelon 5.25's in the rear doors, all hooked up to a Lightning 4 channel amp. Also a 10" sub hooked to an older MTX 2-channel.

Crutchfield makes a great factory bypass harness for this 2006 Ram, that made the whole job of bypassing the factory amp and connecting the aftermarket amp to the stock wiring really, really easy. None of the local shops or chains had this simple by-pass, they all offered $100 integration kits. I left the dash speakers disconnected -- IMHO the sound staging in these locations is horrible.

Best of all, the factory Sirius antenna connector is exactly the same as the one in my Kenwood Sirius tuner. All you have to do is remove the plastic housing from the factory cable.

I also have a steering wheel control adapter that I still need to install, but this one looks to be a bit tricky... anyone done one of these?

Thanks for all your posts.
Daren

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sweetness! I'll be changing out mine once the year of free Sirius is up. As I said earlier the day or the second day I had the truck the stock speakers came out and I'm sure it will only get better with an aftermarket HU.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.