DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone attempted to break into my truck last week. They jammed a screwdriver into the lock cylinder. They scratched up the handle and door a bit, but I can live with that for now. I just want to replace the lock.

How can I get this part replaced? can I just call a locksmitha nd have them come out and replace it and have it matched to my current set of keys? or is there something in the mechanism that needs to be reprogrammed for my keyless remote entry?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

---> here is what they did to the lock.

·
Code Red
2,612 Posts
You won't need to do anything with your keyless remote. Yours is a slightly different story than mine. When they broke into my truck they used a screwdriver as well, but it just popped the cylinder. I reused the same lock cylinder but bought a new door handle (it's all plastic and no way to reattach the lock cylinder to it once it's been snapped off). http://trucks.pcwize.com/doorlock.php is the writeup I did on it, so you can see what you're dealing with if you haven't already taken your door apart and looked for yourself.

I don't know if a locksmith will be able to put a lock cylinder in that is keyed the same. You might have to go to Dodge.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Locksmiths can match anything, if they have the right equipment!

·
Code Red
2,612 Posts
Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I havent taken the handle apart yet. I dont think the plastic part broke, thats why they couldnt get in to the truck. I already ordered a replacement handle for the passenger side, wehre they also tried to get in by prying underneath the handle.

I will probably take it apart this weekend and see what the inside damage is to the lock, then call a locksmith and see wht they can do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.