DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to find any instruction online as to how to adjust the tension so I can remove the belt and proceed to remove the alternator. It looks to me like it 13mm vice the 15mm that was standard on earlier models.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

mike

·
Registered
194 Posts
First get a manual for your year van, about $20. There aren't any free sites that provide this info.
You reduce the belt tension by turning the center bolt of the tensioner. As I recall it's a 15mm. Use a breaker bar from underneath. The tensioner moves, reducing belt tension. Once the belt is off, alternator removal is easy by removing bolts and harness. An easy job that doesn't take to long. Make sure you draw a diagram of how the belt is threaded around what pulleys. Remember to disconnect the battery ground first before doing any work involving electrical parts.
As always, good luck with your project!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the responses. With the right tools replacing the alternator was fairly easy.

I ran the self diagnostic and it returns an error code 100.3 Anyone have an idea what this might be?

Will the dealer give me the info or should I try a local mechanic?

mike

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would unplug the oxygen sensor and check/clean the contacts, then re-plug it again. From the code description I think it's the sensor before the cat. You will need to clear the codes by unhooking the neg battery cable for 1/2 hour. Don't forget that clearing the codes will wipe your radio presets, as you probably already found out. Then start/drive the van and see if it sets that code again. If so then you will need to replace your oxygen sensor. Otherwise you probably had a dirty connection.

·
Registered
194 Posts
A manual is required if you want to play effectively. Factory is best but pricey, Chilton's/Hayne's are about $20. I have both C&H but covet a factory. There is an on-line version which seems very good but it is $20 a year for 1 vehicle and not as user friendly as a book. Sorry, I don't have the link.
Raise the front end, slide your head under the van, find the cat, now go up through the channel and it's in the pipe above the cat, second one is in pipe after the cat. Did I mention this is a tight fit? Well...I guess I just did.
If it turns out you have to replace, get an O2 Sensor socket (has a cut out side so the wires can go through it) or cut the wires, you will still need the O2 socket to install a new sensor. Put PB Blaster on the threads and tap the pipe (vibrations help break rust/corrosion). Wait 24 Hours and repeat. Wait again 24 hours, spray some more PB then take it for a drive, so it heats up. Attach the O2 socket (wear gloves), an extension, put a bar on the extension and turn from outside the front compartment. It should come, but they can be a bear to get off sometimes. It may also make a screeching noise, but that's ok.
When re-installing make sure you add additional anti-seize as there isn't enough on it from the factory. I get them tight and turn about another 1/4 turn, some peeps torque them.
Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
194 Posts
acton mike said:
I sprung for a factory service manual best bucks i ever spent
Where did you get that? Everyone I have tried is out of stock for my 1999 Caravan. Going price seemed to be about $100 if they had it. Not to hijack the thread but...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.