DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1978 Dodge Custom D100 Pickup (that being the one with RWD), and you could say that it is the "base" model (No power brakes, A/C, no am/fm radio, ect.) and I was wondering what type of radio I could put in it. It currently has just the plain AM radio which does work, but there are barely any AM stations in my area, so I would like to put something else in it. I know that I could look on ebay or any similar website to try and find one of the other models of FM radio that could have been in the truck, but I would sorta prefer something newer. I understand that there are 1U and 2U radios but I do not know if those would fit in the truck, and if they did, would I be able to wire them correctly. I own two modern type radios that are 1U, but id like to finds out if they would even fit in the truck before I start tearing out the old one, and possibly ruining the dash.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mounting will be a bit of a challenge. Not a lot of flexibility built in for modern DIN radios. You may do best with one of the units ypu mount under the dash or seat that has a radio and aux cable only & leave the stock unit in the dash for the aesthetics.

I was lucky enough to find an am/fm years ago in a yard in VA. I have it wired to a single speaker up near the defrost vents on the dash. I believe this was stock.

That said I do not know of they ever came with stereo speakers or door speakers. I've seen a lot of hack jobs done though lol. Speakers are likely your next challenge as well.

The fancy OEM option was the am/fm/CB radio version. Wow what a high tech machine!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts