DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which in your opinion is better, replace the CAT which is plugged or remove it and trick the OBD II sensor after the CAT.
If you trick it does it affect your mileage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
hrmmmm.... tell us what year of Dakota we are talking about.

you are better off replacing the CAT, your motor will run much better and get a few more MPG to boot.

friend of mine ran his R/T a few years minus cat... then decided to put it back on for SMOG inspection and was suprised how much smoother and better his truck ran. even did a dyno with and without... had more HP with the CAT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
that helps... the 98-99 Dakotas only have one CAT and four O2 sensors (good thing here).

option one.... gut the cat and tie wrap the last O2 to the frame rail.

option two.... replace the cat with MAGNAFLOW high flow unit and replace the O2`s with new ones. (best IMO)

your CAT is a two inlet and one outlet so a MOPAR unit is $$$$$$$$$$$$$ dependign on yor state SMOG laws, if any, you can get a new Y pipe made to the new cat, your factory one is two small for optimum perf.

as long as your O2`s in your down pipes are functioning and clean, those are the only two that matter. the last two are for CAT funcionality only (thus the tie wrap idea.... )
 

·
The Cherry Express
Joined
·
3,846 Posts
I guess it depend's on what your going to do with the truck. If you plan on fast 1/4 times, then gut it. Otherwise go with a high flow aftermarket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I don't do anything performance wise with the truck other then tow a trailer, but it needs to be replaced so you might as well release some of the power in the motor.
I think that I am going with a magnaflow CAT, it is the same money to install it, as it is to installed a straight pipe (where the CAT used to be) and an tricking sensor after the CAT.
 

·
The Cherry Express
Joined
·
3,846 Posts
Garage Boy said:
Well I don't do anything performance wise with the truck other then tow a trailer, but it needs to be replaced so you might as well release some of the power in the motor.
I think that I am going with a magnaflow CAT, it is the same money to install it, as it is to installed a straight pipe (where the CAT used to be) and an tricking sensor after the CAT.
Probably the best choice, especially in the long run.And the high flow should free up a few HP!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Truck is at the garage getting a new Magnaflow CAT installed.
The wierdest thing is happening lately since I found out the CAT was plugged. I am getting crazy mileage all of a sudden 340km and still 1/2 tank of gas. I normally only get 450km to the tank.
I think that it is too good to be true because I have had problems with the gauge not reading correctly. I will know as soon as I fill it up.
 

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
Joined
·
2,725 Posts
Garage Boy said:
Which in your opinion is better, replace the CAT which is plugged or remove it and trick the OBD II sensor after the CAT.
If you trick it does it affect your mileage?
If you have to get a sniffer test in your state, replace it with a high flow. If not, get rid of it all together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the new Magnaflow CAT is in and the truck sounds alot better, deeper more of growl. I am totally impressed with the new CAT. The old one must have been plugged pretty bad because there is a long hill to my house and the truck usually geared in to 2nd for part of the hill when trying to keep up with the traffic, now it shifted up from 2nd when I had it floored it to see if it made a difference, only remember it doing that when it was new.
The only reason that I went with replacement was if I trade it in and they check it, they may take money off of the trade to install a CAT and I don't want to pay for it twice.
I don't know how picky dealerships are on trades but I did not want to give them an excuss to pay me less.
Thank for all the advice
:rck:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
razman131 said:
that helps... the 98-99 Dakotas only have one CAT and four O2 sensors (good thing here).

option one.... gut the cat and tie wrap the last O2 to the frame rail.

option two.... replace the cat with MAGNAFLOW high flow unit and replace the O2`s with new ones. (best IMO)

your CAT is a two inlet and one outlet so a MOPAR unit is $$$$$$$$$$$$$ dependign on yor state SMOG laws, if any, you can get a new Y pipe made to the new cat, your factory one is two small for optimum perf.

as long as your O2`s in your down pipes are functioning and clean, those are the only two that matter. the last two are for CAT funcionality only (thus the tie wrap idea.... )
That's weird. My 1998 only has one inlet. The y-pipe merges a decent way before the cat, and I've only seen one (post-cat) o2. There's probably an o2 before it too, but I've never looked that hard. My Dakota was made late 1997 as a '98 model, so it may be different than yours if yours was made during 1998.
 

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
Joined
·
2,725 Posts
you may not have to. Try tying the post cat sensors to the frame rail, and see if it pops codes. There's a thread on this going on in the GenII ram forum too. Check it out there for an explanation of why. The 2 front sensors must stay in the down pipes though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
novaDAK said:
That's weird. My 1998 only has one inlet. The y-pipe merges a decent way before the cat, and I've only seen one (post-cat) o2. There's probably an o2 before it too, but I've never looked that hard. My Dakota was made late 1997 as a '98 model, so it may be different than yours if yours was made during 1998.


My truck was the same way I was looking under it to determine if I needed to replace everything like the mechanic recommened or just the CAT. I figured I would start with the CAT and if more was needed. Do it as I could afford it, and yes I only saw 2 sensoer there also one before and after.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Yep, my Ram V-6 has only one cat with a front sensor and a rear sensor. Can I punch out the catylist from my cat, or would replacing with a straight pipe be better? Also, will many muffler shops be willing to remove a cat for a straight pipe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
my favored local shop has a sign that reads:
"if you don't ask us to remove your catalytic converter, we won't ask you to pay the $2500 fine"
but there is one up the road (back alley, unofficial garage) that does it.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top