DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe you've discussed this a million times already so Point me toward that discussion or talk to me about replacing the capacitors in my 2003 ECM Caravan. I got no spark and I've already replaced the crank sensor and cam sensor.

·
Red Trucker
2,077 Posts
LMAO...when I first read your title, I couldn't figure out if you meant there are capacitors in the ECM (there are not capacitors in the ECM/PCM......PCM sends a signal to the coil/coil packs or distributor (depending on engine) and they fire) or if you mean that's the model, "ECM Caravan" (which I've never heard of). A little clarification? Also you have a minivan and you posted this in 2nd gen Ram. Try posting in the Caravan section.

·
Registered
146 Posts
LMAO...when I first read your title, I couldn't figure out if you meant there are capacitors in the ECM (there are not capacitors in the ECM/PCM......PCM sends a signal to the coil/coil packs or distributor (depending on engine) and they fire) or if you mean that's the model, "ECM Caravan" (which I've never heard of). A little clarification? Also you have a minivan and you posted this in 2nd gen Ram. Try posting in the Caravan section.
Uhhh ...

Crack one open, you'll see a metric buttload of capacitors inside the PCM.

They won't be the RFI/points style "condensors", but they WILL be capacitors.

And they can go bad with age.

I think that Bernard2003 is jumping the gun, however; failing caps are just now starting to hit the 1990 vintage Fords.

And units that suffered from DCCS (Dreaded Chinese Capacitor Syndrome) have ALREADY failed. Did usually before they got out of the plant.

RwP

·
Red Trucker
2,077 Posts
Now you're just splitting hairs, because no one except car computer repair shops would crack them open to repair them (or care). PCM's get replaced as a whole; who cares if here are capacitors INSIDE if it gets replaced as a unit lol?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Now you're just splitting hairs, because no one except car computer repair shops would crack them open to repair them (or care). PCM's get replaced as a whole; who cares if here are capacitors INSIDE if it gets replaced as a unit lol?
The OP was talking about it.

Shucks, I've got a Ford ECM I'm recapping as I get ready to rebuild the wife's 1991 Cougar.

But then, I've worked with hot solder since the late 60's. When everyone else was smokin' weed, I was smokin' tin/lead! o_O

So no, I wasn't splitting hairs.

RwP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eclipse and Talon all had the same problem. the electrolytic capacitors dried out and they wouldn't start. this particular 2003 Caravan has no smart key. so finding a used ECM that's any good will be difficult. so I guess I'm on my own on this one. all of those tuning issues you've been chasing for a decade could be fixed with a $3 set of capacitors

·
Registered
2 Posts
Who cares are the people who read your posts and the rude comments you leave for people by belittling them as if you are better than them. You are the one that stated that there are no capacitors in the ECM. People come here to get guidance on something that they really aren't knowledgeable on and you have to try and make yourself look better by making comments that aren't necessary.

·
Red Trucker
2,077 Posts
Who cares are the people who read your posts and the rude comments you leave for people by belittling them as if you are better than them. You are the one that stated that there are no capacitors in the ECM. People come here to get guidance on something that they really aren't knowledgeable on and you have to try and make yourself look better by making comments that aren't necessary.
1. That's funny
2. Even funnier, I love the fact you joined 8yrs ago and NEVER contributed anything useful in that entire time and this abortion was your first post lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts