DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I noticed smoke coming from behind the left rear tire. I changed the drum brakes but it still has a burning smell. Someone said something about the "wheel seal" needed to be replaced. Is that something to do with the exhaust or the wheel bearings?

·
Registered
313 Posts
wheel bearing seal on axle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1986 Dodge Ramcharger 4wd

WIll this cause a popping noise? My wife drove it to work and barely made it home when she noticed a "popping and grinding" noise coming from the left rear tire. There isnt any smoke only a burning smell. She also said that it felt like a pull to the left. Is this the wheel bearings? What do I need to do to repair this? :rck:

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
It's either an axle bearing, in which case the axle has to be pulled and a new bearing installed in the axle housing OR the brake shoes have come apart and are grinding up inside the drum. Pull the wheels and drums and check it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
when you changed the brakes was there oil on them if so that means that there is oil leaking from the axel seal. If thay weren't oily was there any brake fluid on the shoes if so the wheel cylinder is leaking and need to be replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.