DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, one of the bolts on my starter that a wire attaches to is loose due to a stripped bolt. i need to put some washers on the bolt to get a better connection because to start my truck now i have to use a pair of pliers to hold the wire on that bolt. the easiest way for me to get to the bolt would be to remove the steering shaft, the shaft is in the way of me being able to reach the starter. so, my question is can i remove the steering shaft, the end that goes to the firewall? how hard would it be? is there anything i should watch out for before i try doing this? any tips? thanks for any responses, i could easily just take the truck to a shop to have them put it on but, i would rather do it myself, that and they want $40-$50 to just put the washers on there.

edit: i have a 1994 dodge ram 1500 2wd.

·
Night Rider
646 Posts
Just take out the steering shaft, you don't need it. I think you are making more of a project than it has to be, I don't have my truck right in front of me but you shouldn't take on a job that big to put on a couple washers. I would highly recommend not doing what you are thinking about.

-Pat-

Just an opinion, anything steering related can be a pain the ass.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NightRider said:
Just take out the steering shaft, you don't need it. I think you are making more of a project than it has to be, I don't have my truck right in front of me but you shouldn't take on a job that big to put on a couple washers. I would highly recommend not doing what you are thinking about.

-Pat-

Just an opinion, anything steering related can be a pain the ass.
i just need to detach the steering shaft to be able to reach the starter and put it back of course. my truck is lowered so, i cant even fit underneath it to reach the starter. i had gravel added to my driveway and its not settled good enough to where i would trust jacking the truck up. so, i was thinking this wouldnt be a big deal but, just wanted to make sure. anyone else have any experiences with detaching the steering shaft? ive never done this before but, it doesnt seem to be that big of a deal. but i just wanted to make sure first.

·
Registered
842 Posts
wtf are you thinking????? Why do you think you need to take this shaft out. Just crawl under the damn thing. There is more than enough room to work on them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lbeenken said:
wtf are you thinking????? Why do you think you need to take this shaft out. Just crawl under the damn thing. There is more than enough room to work on them.
this makes the second or third ive said this MY TRUCK IS LOWERED, its not the stock suspension, i cannot even fit my head underneath the truck. i didnt think unbolting the steering shaft would be that big of a deal. i dont need to take the whole shaft out, just unbolt the end that attaches to the fire wall and then fix the starter. is it really that much of a big deal? it looks like a very simple thing to do.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
could you not just jack it up and put some stands underneath it and then tighten up the bolt? You could also get some car ramps and drive it up on those.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
dodgensince74 said:
could you not just jack it up and put some stands underneath it and then tighten up the bolt? You could also get some car ramps and drive it up on those.
i just added several layers of gravel to my driveway and its not settled good enough to where i would trust jacking the truck up and my driveway is sightly slanted also. and car ramps wouldnt work, the truck sits too low to clear the ramps. right now to start my truck i gotta use a 12" pair of pliers to reach the bolt on the starter to hold the wire on the bolt while someone turns the key to start the truck. been like this for three days, trust me it gets old fast. the only thing keeping me from reaching the bolt is the steering shaft. im a little suprise no one has ever took a steering shaft off, this forum is useally good for information, but i guess it looks like no ones ever done this before i was thinking it would be simple and easy. guess i might just have to pay someone $50 to put a few damn washers on there. :eek:

·
Night Rider
646 Posts
You never did originally say your truck was lowered, here are my thoughts:

A) Know anyone with a lift?
B) Go to Advanced Auto Parts, park on the side of the building, and jack your truck up there. It isn't out of the norm to see someone under a vehicle at Advanced, and guaranteed their parking lot is paved.

I am still gonna stick by don't touch that shaft.

-Pat-

I have taken mine out, and it was a royal pain in the ass because I did my gear box last August, and it was a pain to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.