DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there. i have a 96 2500 ram and today after a day of offroading i had a look under my truck to see if i done any damage. sure enough i found something. the part of the sway bar that connects to the frame on both sides. on the left side it looks like the whole bushing and the metal that holds the sway bar to the frame with 2 bolts came off from the truck flexing. im now thinking of taking the whole sway bar off. do u have to take out the whole sway bar to make the truck flex better or just take off the bolts holding the bar to the frame and leave the whole sway bar attached to the end links. help will be greatly appreciated.

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
Disconnect it from the end links, not from the frame if you are only temp unhooking for off roading. You can get a set of quick disconnects to make it easier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for replying. im probbaly going to take off the sway bar and see how the truck handles and stop drifting around corners lol. if it sways way too much ill buy quick disconnects.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I haven't had the front sway bar on my truck for over a year. The "extra" lean in corners is noticeable. It really does not bother me. As long as you drive sensible and account for the extra body roll you would be fine leaving it off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i took off the sway bar and didnt even notice any extra sway. the first time i felt the truck sway was turning right to merge onto the hwy gunning it but it was almost not noticable. the ride of the truck also feels a bit better in my opinion. i just love the flex my truck has now. this is like the best free mod that i did on this truck.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Instead of spending $60+ on quick disconnects, you can do what I did and make your own for less then $5.

Take the nuts that hold the sway bar to the end links off, and take a small drill bit and drill through the bolt. Next put a large wingnut on the bolt and tighten it down past where you drilled the hole. Next get a cotter pin the size of the hole you drilled and slide it through to hold the wingnut in place. When you get to the trail, pull the pin, remove the wingnuts, slide the swaybar off the endlinks, (I ziptie the swaybar to the frame mount), and put the rubber spacer, washer, wingnut, and pin back through so you don't lose them. When you're done for the day, put everything back on in reverse order.

Here's a couple of pictures of how I did mine...

I've driven with this "Mod" done since November when I bought the truck, and have had no issues with it. I may buy quick disconnects in the future to get rid of the swaybar lowering brackets, but for right now, can't beat the price of them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my sway bar goes on differently on my truck than yours but i can make that work. pretty sweet idea. but i'm the type of person that is too lazy to disconnect things. i've just removed the sway bar altogether and don't notice any extra sway. i've gunned it on the hwy and did bunch of swerves to see if the truck sways too much. the truck sways a tiny bit more than before but i wont worry about it. must be them diesel springs i put in. i have swerved a suzuki grand vitara out of the way from a dead elk on the highway and i almost flipped that tiny 10.5 foot of a vehicle. i cant imagine how some people can drive tiny vehicles like jeeps and remove their sway bars and drive it on the highway.

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
Be careful when you tow, especially in a braking corner like an interstate off ramp. That's when I noticed a huge difference in the way the truck handled with the swaybar disconnected. You won't catch me towing with it disconnected again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i have noticed that too going off ramps but i experience the most sway when i turn right to go onto a highway but it isn't that bad. i drive around corners pretty fast like what you would do in a car and i actually like the feel of the extra sway. i never tow anything with this truck, knowing that this truck cant tow jack all because of the underpowered 5.9 magnum. this engine is a joke power wise comparing to the chevy 6.0l or 5.3 (i have a 2001 5.9 by the way)

·
2,032 Posts
I don't know what you consider "jack all" but I towed 10,000 pounds with my old 1500 5.9 gasser with no problems at all with the engine or tranny. Pulled that much weight quite well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Davcruz,

AMEN brother! My 97 2500 with the 360 pulls pretty strong, IMO, even with 147K on the clock. I currently tow a 5K Gross TT and the truck bed loaded with firewood and supplies without any trouble at all. The truck does not really even have to work very hard with this weight, except on steep grades, when any truck would work to pull the grade.

The 360 is any bit a strong as the 5.4L ford in the F250 SD I sold when I bought this RAM.

I have to say guys, the longer I have my RAM, the styling just keeps growing and growing on me. I love the front end of these trucks. They look so mean/tough! I always thought they were cool, but everytime I wash my truck, or just go out to my shop to look at it, I can't help but think it looks great!

I do have one question though (off topic), but how do the bug shields attach to these trucks? The grille and hood come together, so I don't see how the shield would attach. How do the "eyebrows" attach above the headlights?

Thanks,
Greg

·
2,032 Posts
Some of the shields literally go between the grill and hood with thin little brackets, some of them use two sided tape to stick onto the grill and some mount to the grill with screws. The eyebrows go on with two sided tape.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rated at 245 hp and 345lbs torque and sucks gas like theres no tomorrow 9-10 mpg in town that just makes me sick. even gm's get better mpg. but i just love the 2nd gen style but the cost of gas these days kill me at the pump (im 17 living in canada where gas is around $1.50 litre mark $5.67 gallon) so for now i'm driving my dads 02 cummins 6spd rated at 245hp and close to 500lbs. that is just sad that the diesel has way more power than the gasser and can also be suped up easily and gets like double the mpg too.

·
2,032 Posts
There is a reason I now drive a CTD and not a gasser! 21 MPG and I just bought diesel last night for.....$3.98/Gal !!!!! that was only 6 cents more than regular gas and was 20 cents less than premium.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
u guys down in the states only pay $3.98 a gallon thats it. the gas prices in canada is a joke. gas here in canada at 3.98 a gallon was like almost 2 years ago now its like 5.67 gallon now

·
2,032 Posts
Yep, $3.98 for diesel ans regular gas was $3.92.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The gas in my town is at $3.50ish right now. Some are lower, some are more. Diesel is still close to $4.00. Couple of guys I know bought one of the biodiesel set-ups and now make their own, only costs them about $2.00 a gallon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
u guys are so lucky. i now have to downgrade to a 93 toyota pickup to save fuel. have to sell my truck now cuz i cant afford 180 bucks a tank to drive 315 miles

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Gas just hit 4.50 here in my town but that is due to that jackass Ike who had to have a temper-tantrum over in the gulf. Fuel has gone down some but is lingering aroun 3.60-4.00 a gallon. My home town has RUN OUT of gas and my college town is statring to run out. Refineries are back up but it will still be another 2 weeks before fuel starts coming in. I havnt been able to go home since the school year started becuase of the fuel prices and shortages...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.