Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO REMOVE THE REAR DECKLID BADGES ON A R/T? :huh:
I HAVE BLACK PAINT AND AM WORRIED ABOUT SCRATCHED. I'M PUTTING 2002 STRATUS R/T EMBLEM IN THE BACK.

·
Registered
205 Posts
either a plastic putty knife or dental floss seems the favorite.
soften with heatgun/hair dryer first.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Put her out in the sun on a warm day and let the adhesive bake a while. The emblems will dang near fall of with a slight tug. You may have to use some goo gone or WD40 works well too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
obiwan said:
Put her out in the sun on a warm day and let the adhesive bake a while. The emblems will dang near fall of with a slight tug. You may have to use some goo gone or WD40 works well too.
I pulled mine off on a warm sunny day. I used some fishing line too though. I took a good length and wrapped it around each index finger a few times and slipped the line just under the emblems/lettering (basically between the emblem and the adhesive as best I could). Then I slid the fishing line back and forth while slightly pulling away from the vehicle, as to keep the line from rubbing on the paint. Don't worry of you snap the fishing line/floss, just get another length and maybe work with less tension on the line. This took me a while and honestly the lettering mighta just came off with a good tug, but I was being extra carefull.

I started doing the same thing with the moldings but when I realized how easy they came off (thanks to the sun), I just pulled them off outright.

I used WD-40 and and my thumb nails to get the excess adhesive 2-way tape off, and then WD-40 and an old clean towel to get rid of the adhesive after that. Later I took some soap and water and a towel and washed all the WD-40 off and then washed the whole car and waxed it.

Big thing to watch out for is not to rub the fishing line/dental floss on the surface of the car - This WILL remove paint! I have a buddy who did exactly this with a brand new Sentra (spec v err whateva). Every place there was an emblem, now has several severe rub marks, some of which go through to the metal!

PS - I learned all of this from this forum or the LX forums. Thanks guys!

Also, follow the directions I laid out at your own risk!

·
Registered
189 Posts
i used a rubber soul shoe

with the badges gone i used the soul of my tennis shoe to remove the glue that was left over...no i did not damage the paint... :rck:

·
Registered
205 Posts
nice idea PhatJay.

I used thin nylon lacing (about 3X the thickness of dental floss) to cut the adhesive and it worked great. There was a huge difference between the badges that were in the sun and those in teh shade. I would definately recommend letting the badges bake a little before pulling them.

I used my thumb to rub off as much of the adhesive as possible first (got a nice blister out of that one!) Then a little orange cleaner and there was no longer any adhesive left.

I'd also recommend waxing the panel as soon as the badges are removed since there is no wax under the badges plus I'm sure the orange cleaner and all the rubbing removed the wax nearby.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is all great info. I would like to get my hands on the new Hemi & Rt badge thats being used on the 2006 Magnum. Anybody have a line where these can be bought?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Cabo Mag said:
This is all great info. I would like to get my hands on the new Hemi & Rt badge thats being used on the 2006 Magnum. Anybody have a line where these can be bought?
At a dealer. I am too lazy to call and I've been waiting for someone to poast the part numbers. :ylsuper:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Busted out a hair dryer for once in my life and used it on the car lol...

Worked great, just peeled them off with my finger, then used the rubber on my shoe to get the sticky off. Worked great!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ordered my R/T badge (2006 Magnum or Charger) last Friday. Total cost: $20.66 including tax. Will be following the directions in the above posts to remove the one from the factory on my '05 RT.

Greg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Greg McDonnell said:
Ordered my R/T badge (2006 Magnum or Charger) last Friday. Total cost: $20.66 including tax. Will be following the directions in the above posts to remove the one from the factory on my '05 RT.

Greg
Do you happen to have part numbers? Many people have been trying to get these and it appears all of the dealers contacted don't have any reference to the '06 R/T badges on either the Magnum or Charger. You might be getting '05 badges and not know it as that has happened to at least 1 person so far.

·
Registered
271 Posts
First your going to need a hammer some steel wool and a pack of big red chewing gum..
Just kidding the other guys pretty much summed it up. I used a heat gun at the body shop and some prep sol to remove the residue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just got 3 '69" Coronet R/T badges today! Bought them on Ebay for $60.00 on friday. The vendor, Firestone Collectables did a great job in getting them out to me. Will be de-badging & re-badging this weekend. My Midnight Blue Magnum should look Sweeet!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.