DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took out the 3" body lift but left the 3" suspension lift in. Do you think I'll still be able to run my 35's without hitting/rubbing?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
You might but it depends on the tires and what type of suspension lift you have.

Can you answer these? Then I can answer your question.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skyjacker 3" lift with dual Bilstein shocks per front side and Bilstein shocks on rear. Rough Country control arms. Tires are unknown yet, I didn't want to buy anything without getting an idea what size will fit. I'm thinking 17 or 18 inch rims, these unknown also.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
the oe rims are horrible for back set. the tread is way too far inboard. 33"- 11.5"s always hit no matter how much lift. the lift does nothing for control arm rub. you need new rims with less back set comparative to stock.
if I remember correctly the stock alu 5 star rims have 5.25" back set. when I went to steel soft 8s, they are dead centered, an 8" wide rim with 4" back set.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm only running a 2.5" HBS level and running 34s(315/70/17) and pretty sure I could clear 35s if I wanted. Rims are 17x9 with a 4.5"backspace

·
Registered
1 Posts
the oe rims are horrible for back set. the tread is way too far inboard. 33"- 11.5"s always hit no matter how much lift. the lift does nothing for control arm rub. you need new rims with less back set comparative to stock.
if I remember correctly the stock alu 5 star rims have 5.25" back set. when I went to steel soft 8s, they are dead centered, an 8" wide rim with 4" back set.
Rubbing his control arms is the least of his problems, or at least better to have the tires rubbing the arms rather than having the tires rubbing the back of the fenders when he turns, always amazes me people are willing to hack up there fenders to clear their tires cuz they have wheels with the wrong offset, people like tires sticking outa the fenders for some reason..?
(I'm not sure about 2nd gens but know you can run 35's on 3rd gen stock wheels without rubbing the CA's.)

Stock wheels are best for bigger tires without rubbing the fenders, ½" longer control arms will help move the axle ahead to gain room you lost raising the front end and an adjustable track bar will help recenter the axle side to side.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Since you have RC control arms, the axle should be re-centered front to back. Like mentioned, it depends on wheel off-set to clear certain tires. But all tires are different!

I've run three kinds of 33s= Nitto Terras, Cooper ATPs, and now BFG TA KO2s, all in 285/75-R16. Not one has ever rubbed anywhere on stock chrome 16x7 Dodge wheels. The Nittos were by far the largest tires and I actually used them several months on the stock suspension! I only lifted it for the look and capability. The Coopers were wider than the BFGs and the BFGs are the smallest height tire of the three.

Oh, and I have an adjustable track bar too which is usually the cause for rub since the axle doesn't get re-centered unless one is used.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like I need to try different size tires and different makes to get the ones that fill the wheel wells without rubbing.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Toyo/Nitto run the largest if that's what you want. Yokos used to run big but they redesigned their new ATs. Not sure about MTs.

Coops, BFGs, Firestone, and Goodyear run average to small for their size.

Think of tires like shoes: one brand you might be a 10 while the next brand a 11 fits.

I spent months shopping tires before and have waffled a ton about going back to 265 because of the lack of power, braking, and steering with 285s. I like the feel and comfort of the BFGs right now but they look too small. Also look at weight, weight rating, and vibration reviews. While the Coopers were the best looking tire I've run, their quality absolutely sucks and caused horrid vibrations. Nittos were smoothest but rode and wore like rocks and were the ugliest by far.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buddy just put on some Falken WildPeak M/T. Nice looking tire. I won't be ready for new tires until next spring so I'll have some time to see how they hold up and work in the mud and snow. I have Duratracs on my other dodge truck, they seem to be alright, alittle road noise but great in the snow and mud.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.