1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
i have the excalibur and i gotr it for 250 installedworks kick ass

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
i love my viper. granted its an older model, but still a great system.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i have an AVITAL remote start.works great.

·
Registered
275 Posts
ive had 3 differnt viper starters and they were alright except the last one i had would go through remote batteries like crazy, and sometimes when it was really cold it wouldn't start the truck . an installer i know got me to try the 2 way compustar and its been good even started no problem on a few of the -50'C days. option to look into

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
x2 i have it also great system. although the remote is always pushing buttons in my pocket and going off, annoying as hell!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
The only thing I would be worried about with any alarms like this is battery drain if you don't drive it every day.

I had an Ungo system like this in one of my mustangs and if I didn't drive it for a week the alarm would drain the battery far enough that the car wouldn't start.

It may have been an install issue I don't really know.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
I have an older Clifford system with the auto-start. The Viper system is an off-shoot of the Clifford. I've have had this system since the spring of 1998, it’s my second Clifford system, and I’ve moved the alarm system from one vehicle to the next. The auto-start system is great and makes life a little more bearable when the weather is cold or just plain too hot. Since your system would only be an auto-start system, you don’t need to worry about battery drain; you would only see a small drain if it was an alarm system. My alarm system has gone more than a month without the truck running and it didn’t drain the battery. Plus my system monitors the heath of battery and as the charge drops, the alarm system reduces the amount it pulls from the battery. If the battery gets below a voltage that I’ve set in the preferences, it starts the engine and charges the battery for me.

I didn’t see some of the safety features or sensor taps on the vehicle. Does the auto-start system check for oil pressure when it starts the engine? Does the system check that the alternator is charging the battery while the engine is running? Does the system check the water temperature and shut-down the engine if it’s getting too hot? And if someone breaks into the vehicle while the engine is running, what’s to keep them from driving off with our vehicle?

:)

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I have an older Clifford system with the auto-start. The Viper system is an off-shoot of the Clifford. I've have had this system since the spring of 1998, it’s my second Clifford system, and I’ve moved the alarm system from one vehicle to the next. The auto-start system is great and makes life a little more bearable when the weather is cold or just plain too hot. Since your system would only be an auto-start system, you don’t need to worry about battery drain; you would only see a small drain if it was an alarm system. My alarm system has gone more than a month without the truck running and it didn’t drain the battery. Plus my system monitors the heath of battery and as the charge drops, the alarm system reduces the amount it pulls from the battery. If the battery gets below a voltage that I’ve set in the preferences, it starts the engine and charges the battery for me.

I didn’t see some of the safety features or sensor taps on the vehicle. Does the auto-start system check for oil pressure when it starts the engine? Does the system check that the alternator is charging the battery while the engine is running? Does the system check the water temperature and shut-down the engine if it’s getting too hot? And if someone breaks into the vehicle while the engine is running, what’s to keep them from driving off with our vehicle?

:)
ive left my truck running for several months at a time and it started on the first crank everytime. and as for the autostart not sure about the sensors but for the stealing the truck while its running, you can keep it locked while its running, plus you have to put the key in and turn it to the on position before doing anything or it will kill the engine. also the truck will only stay started for a set amount of time (not sure how long) so overheating wouldnt be a problem

·
Registered
439 Posts
ya with mine it stays locked when running or unless i remote unlock it. As far as it getting stolen because its running, you have to have the key in ignition and in the run position or it will turn off

·
Registered
439 Posts
oh and just looked at the price of that viper alarm, wow that's freaking expensive, but then again if you feel like its worth go for it. i bought mine for the reason that if you pull the tailgate open it will go off. the guy added a sensor once the tailgate moves, and of course the remote start. wow. i know i ***** the guy down to $250 installed with the added sensor in the tailgate, but i think that's a damn good price installed. either way if the truck gets stolen they'd better keep it for total it. i don't want it back. id have a shopping spree at the dodge dealer for a new cummins

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I've got a Bully Dog Remote Start.

$5 from a yardsale, never opened. Was easy to install and works great.

·
Registered
837 Posts
i have the previous version of that viper, 5701. its a great system the only problems I have with it are that the remotes are always going off in my pocket and the 2 way remote eats batteries in like 3 months. i had some problems with it the other day but all i had to do is reset the alarm brain and i was good to go.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I have a Scytek 5100RS-FM 2 Way in my D. No issues with it. My only complaint is that it goes through the single AAA battery in about three months.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Ive got a Clifford 50.7x security system with RS and love it. Anything by DEI is good

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.