DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which remote start do yall recomend for the diesel. i would like a turbo timer on it also. i dont want or need an alarm...jst the remote start that will be compatable and also have a turbo timer.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,355 Posts
Im interested in this thread...

Whats a turbo timer?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it allows your truck to run and cool down before cutting off. you get home....turn the key off and take it out and the truck runs for a set amount of time to allow the turbo to cool off instead of cutting it off at operating temps
 

· Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I installed my own and it's a Viper. I looked at a lot of these and have installed around 9 of them from other vendors and I really like the Viper. Not good tech support unless you are a dealer so if you decide to install it yourself you may run into problems. In my 06 there is no input for the pre-heater so you must have a remote start that has a wait timer and you must program it for this feature. I only hooked up the start function and I use the factory key to lock/unlock the doors. It has the turbo timer but I also have the Juice/Attitude controller that has the egt temp shutdown on it.
Unless you are real good with 12 volt systems and know how to install resistors and diodes I would have a pro install it. One wire wrong and it will be o-crap city.
They are all pretty good these days but the Viper has been very dependable and has a very good range (1/4 mile+).
 

· Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
What about if you have a manual tranny? I have heard that you "can't", please tell me this is not true?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
I did, they are the ones that said you can't. The ones that work for a manual tranny look to see if the truck is running with in 10 seconds and will cut off if the truck has not started. Since we have to "wait to start" when it is cold, that is why it won't work. I was hoping that someone here could give me a second opinion.

rtkota360 said:
should be able too,u just have to make sure you park it in nuetral with p/brake.call an intall shop they would know
 

· Joe E
Joined
·
526 Posts
Are you guys pulling on of you keys chips out and taping it to the dash? I thought the truck wouldnt start unless the key with the correct chip was in the ignition. Someone said you could dissamble one of your keys and pull the chip out. Then tape or glue the chip under the dash. I dont like that. The security feature is null-n-void then.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Joe E.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
08ram,I live in rochester,ny and even this week I dont think my light stayed on for more than 10 sec to start and it started right up.I can call a buddy of mine he may be able to help you.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
rtkota360, sure give him a call. Mine light has not stayed on that long either but my installer said that it would be a problem anyway (not sure what that means). He also said that people don't like to install on diesels manuals because if something goes wrong (it is in gear) they have so much torque that the truck will move. Lets here what your guy has to say.

rtkota360 said:
08ram,I live in rochester,ny and even this week I dont think my light stayed on for more than 10 sec to start and it started right up.I can call a buddy of mine he may be able to help you.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
716 Posts
I have a Bulldog & like it. It has a pre-heater sensor or a timer functiion. I have heard they do make them for manuals. You have to have your truck running, take key out, get out, lock doors, and shut off engine with remote to be able to start it with remote. This ensures that the truck is in neutral.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Joe E said:
Are you guys pulling on of you keys chips out and taping it to the dash? I thought the truck wouldnt start unless the key with the correct chip was in the ignition. Someone said you could dissamble one of your keys and pull the chip out. Then tape or glue the chip under the dash. I dont like that. The security feature is null-n-void then.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Joe E.
I too would like to know the answer to this cause I am very interested in a remote start but have the sentry key theft system. Thanks for any help.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
08RamLaramie said:
rtkota360, sure give him a call. Mine light has not stayed on that long either but my installer said that it would be a problem anyway (not sure what that means). He also said that people don't like to install on diesels manuals because if something goes wrong (it is in gear) they have so much torque that the truck will move. Lets here what your guy has to say.
The shop you phoned doen't know what they are talking about. I've been to 2 places and neither one said they couldn't install on a manual, it just costs more. What they do it put in some kind of senor to make sure the truck is in nuetral and won't start if it's in gear. I was quoted $750 for a Compustar Pro installed in canada. It has the turbo timer and everything, top of the line. As far as the key, they said they need both keys for the install but a key DOES NOT stay under the dash, I have no idea how they bypass the sentry security system but they do. 10 seconds isn't even close to enough time, the last week mine has been a good 15-20 secs since it's getting below 0F at night, and even at this temp I cycle my glow plugs 2 times, because it seems to start easier since it's not plugged in.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top