Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ctd guys n gals what remote start system do you have and do you like it
i will be getting one real soon

thanks
chuck

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just had once installed a few weeks ago. I went with CrimeStopper. I got the combo unit that has the starter and alarm system. Its fairly cheap and does what you need it to do.
They do sell more high tech ones, like something that communicates to your key chain monitor, but that seems a bit overkill for me. Some you can also control the rpms, nice for cold weather, but our trucks do have a high idle feature anyway.

·
Akafoxxman
61 Posts
ok, I just removed a Viper 3300, w/ auto start and upgraded to the viper 5900 w/ 2 way communication, some think it's an overkill, but I don't, especially when no one does anything when an alarm is going off. It has a range of over a mile, so starting it in those cold days are great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
had a compustar on my Gen 2 for about three years then it started blowing coilpacks(V10) cost me over 1500 to figure out it was the auto start causing the problem, so watch out, this was one of the most expensive units at the time($750) so just be careful
Bigpak

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeah make sure the installer knows what they are doing. An idiot might set the timer relay to short and it'l start before the "wait to start" light goes out. Also with a diesel, you can't have the starter on voltage mode. When the heater grid kicks in, the starter will see the drop in voltage and think its stalling, then it'll kill the motor.

I just went with Crimestopper cause thats what they had in stock and thats what I had on my 2nd gen CTD. I agree that its nice to have the 2 way commo, but it just wasn't worth it for me. Viper does make so good stuff, and if you ask me, Astroflex/Astrostart seems to be the top of the line.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a Autopage 725lcd installed a year ago on mine. Nothing but good things to say about it. Remote start,alarm,turbo timer,2-way paging all in one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
dont let them tap into the cam position sensor wire "so the remote start knows its running". located on the side of the block it will trip that sensor when the truck is under a heavy @ freeway speeds makes the motor jump like turning on and off really quick. i found out the hard way. find a shop that has done the same kind of truck......

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had the Mopar system installed from dealer when I bough the truck. Over $400 installed and after two trips back for unit not starting truck and collateral problems in the instrument gages I had them rip it out and get my money back. The complexity of the electrical systems and lack of validation that these aftermarket parts integrate convinced me to stick to beadliners and mudflaps when it comes to aftermarket mods.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yah, thinking of putting one in my 06 CTD auto.
I've installed 6 of them in the past but all on gas motors, 2 of them on Dodge trucks (1996 1500 360 sport and a 1998 2500 v10 sport).
All have been pretty straightforward but when checking on the 06 with the security system it makes it much harder. In fact I think I saw in the owners manual where it said you could not put one on?
Have check a couple of web sights and looked for good wiring diagrams and they are showing the need for a lot of resistors to be added for the acc. 2 and all the door locks, looks like a pain in the a$$.
Put a 2-way in my wife's Grand Prix last year and the door lock thing with the resistors drove me crazy.
Anyone put one in a 06 CTD by yourself???
Also looks like you need the security by-pass module.
Any input would be great!!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have always had Viper/DEI products. There lifetime warranty on products cannot be beat. I would not advise people to install remote start systems in there own rides. Due to the fact that if you wire into the BCM incorrectly, you could due quite a bit of pricey damage. I'd take it to a shop with a great labor warranty. I'd never buy DEI/Viper equipment online. They will not honor any sort of issues you might have with the product. Visit the shops and interact with the installers and see if they are listening to any of your concerns and questions. Ask how many remote starts they have done on diesels.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Oh yeah, our newer Dodges(02-07) need resistors to lock/unlock the doors and need diodes to isolate the doorpins from the BCM to prevent falsing. You'll also need a transponder bypass if you have grey keys. So prepare for that truck to be there all day and pay a pretty penny.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've installed several Bulldog, 2 Valets and 1 DesignTech Airwolf (2-way).
Never installed a Viper but they look like a nice unit.
Bulldog has a nice web site for troubleshooting and wire diagrams.
Can't find any web sites for the wiring on the Viper units.
Been one of those do-it-yourself kind of guys and have taken electrical classes and know how to use a meter but I know what you mean by warranty and having someone that has done it before.
It's hard to find anyone close that I would trust to install one of these and if I did I would have to take out a loan for it. I'm guessing the install would be three times the cost of the unit if you get all the bells and whistles hooked up.
What was the install price for you?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just had the Viper 5500 installed in my truck yesterday. 1 mile range....this thing is increadible. I like Viper the Astrostart equally as well and have had both in truck's I've owned. I went with the Viper this time simply because the remote is thinner and it fits in my pocket better. The Viper also seems to varify commands on the remote a bit faster than my Astrostart did. These are top of the line units. You pay more for distance and the name. I have a Galaxy in my wife's car with 1000 ft. range and a lifetime warranty; I am very satisfied with it. It does not have the timer feature that will start the vehicle every 3 hours though, I have to have that for the diesel for when I'm on late season hunts or snowmachining in the mountains. If you don't need long range or the advanced features I would recommend going with something like the galaxy and save yourself some money. I would most certainly have a reputable dealer do the install. If you don't you take the warranty for the unit and your vehicle in your own hands. Just my 2c.....

·
Registered
224 Posts
oh yeah, I had to leave 1 of my key's in the unit as part of the install. The installer said it has to do with the new keys put out a signal and if the unit doesn't sense that signal it will not start the vehicle. Now I have to get another key for my wife to carry. Don't mean to hyjack the thread :hijacked: but does anyone know if I can get a key without the door lock button's built in? Hopefully it will be much smaller.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hey ram4477, DEI makes a transponder bypass for your 06 so that you dont need to leave the key in the dash. The module learns your code and then lets you keep both keys with you. The module usually runs anywhere from 99-150 bucks. They can be a complete bitch to program so maybe thats why your installer decided to keep the key stashed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
04_on_22s
Thanks for the info. I'll probably go with which ever is cheaper. New key or the module. I sure would like to get a smaller key from Dodge without the remote built in. I don't need it now that the autostart is in and that is just alot of bulk to carry in my pocket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.