DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to get the remote start kit due to losing one of my key fobiks. i weighed the differences and for an extra $20 dollars over the price of 1 key fobik without the metal key blade and having it programmed, i could have 2 keys, and a remote start. i decided to go that route. i made a youtube video to give anyone that was wondering an idea of how it works, its advantages and if you lose a key, just get the remote start kit and you will basically have 2 keys for the price of one, and a remote start module for free. it all cost me a total of $230 for the kit and $250 installed. the fobiks that come in the kit also do not come with the metal key blade so you will still have to purchase some if you dont already have both your other ones. in my case i had my wifes fobik but not mine. so even if i did take hers out i would still have to buy one. i decided to let hers stay with the original fobik and i just bought 2 blades for the new fobiks. now i have a total of 3 full fobiks, 2 of which can start the truck, one will be for valet or whatever, and one is MIA until my 2 year old finds where he stashed it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDIXFzGeVpM
more videos to come including:
access vanish tonneau cover,
Low beam and Fog HID install before and after, and explanation of wiring diagram and info on relay harness install.
MyGig RER installed and lockpick device with ipod integrated cable, navigation and sirius radio antenna compatibility
Alpine Headrest monitors to match 10 speaker alpine system using lockpicks supplied A/V in/out wiring harness that is an option upon ordering lockpick.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the video...I ordered the remote start in January, and it was on back order. Part finally came in on Monday, it's getting installed Thursday. I've been missing this option since I traded in my 07 Ram with a viper 5701 installed. I was wondering what it showed in the EVIC. How much did the extra blades cost? I'd like to have my extra fobs available for backups.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Doesnt this also come with a window down option?

·
Registered
31,160 Posts
Doesnt this also come with a window down option?
my non remote start came with it.

hit the unlock button. let go. hit it again and hold. front windows go down (as you are holding the button)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as far as blades, i was told $20-22 each. thats cut as well. as far as the windows down feature, this came in all rams with the keyless entry as far as i know. like 021 said above, you have to double click the unlock button. but on the second click, hold it for about 2 seconds and the Front windows only will start to go down. you have to keep the button held until you want to stop the windows. if you let go before they are all the way down, they will stop where they are. to make them go the rest of the way simply double click again, hold the second click again, and they will start going down again. you cannot roll them back up with this feature though. some safety thing incase there were arms or fingers in the way, dodge didnt want the liability i guess. its stupid.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Nice little video thanks! As for over cranking the key when the truck is started it will not engage the starter again as long as the truck is running.

Have you tested the real world range on that starter yet? Im curious as to how far away you can really start your truck from.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have not had a chance to test range yet. i may take it somewhere and test it out eventually but ill need to mesure off when i get the breaking point between working and not working. ill let yall know what i find.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have the factory installed remote start, functions the same so I would assume the ranges would be similar. I have started mine from 100-150 yds before.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have the factory installed remote start, functions the same so I would assume the ranges would be similar. I have started mine from 100-150 yds before.
ok thats not bad.

I know Dodge claims a range of about 300ft so it sounds like its living up to their claim.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just got my truck back from the dealer. They had to keep it overnight, as they didn't finish the install yesterday. Cost me $235 for the remote start and $100 labor. So for $335 plus tax out the door, not a bad gig. They even programmed my other two fobiks at no charge. So I have 2 remote start fobiks and 2 spare fobiks (without the blade). Range seems pretty good, I'll test it more later after work.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had Viper 5901 on my 09' and my 10' come stock with remote start....I'm going to see about getting it removed and have my Viper put back on. I'm not impressed with the factory system....if theirs so much of a tree in the way of me and the truck it will not start, I have to pretty much be standing right next to it....which defeats the purpose. My Viper system works up to a mile away. I can be in my apartment, or in the back of a store, or even in my breakroom at work and it still starts, plus its a 2-way remote so It sends a signal back if it successfully starts...plus I can check cab temperature and other sorts of nifty things.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had Viper 5901 on my 09' and my 10' come stock with remote start....I'm going to see about getting it removed and have my Viper put back on. I'm not impressed with the factory system....if theirs so much of a tree in the way of me and the truck it will not start, I have to pretty much be standing right next to it....which defeats the purpose. My Viper system works up to a mile away. I can be in my apartment, or in the back of a store, or even in my breakroom at work and it still starts, plus its a 2-way remote so It sends a signal back if it successfully starts...plus I can check cab temperature and other sorts of nifty things.
I will have to look into that Viper setup. I just like the idea of having 1 key fob with the OEM Remote start, its less garbage in my pocket. :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had the Viper 5701 on my last truck. I agree the 2way remotes are nice, but their keyfobs are junk. I'll never own another one unless I see major improvement in their fobs. Everytime you move, the thing is beeping. The battery cover doesn't stay on and it eats batteries like candy. I didn't even bother taking it off when I traded in my truck. 2-way and range were awesome....but that's about it for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.