Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the info on my issue:

1. I got a remote start / security system installed last Saturday, but an issue came up where I needed to purchase a programmed key from the dealership which is to be placed "under the dash". Well I just spent 90 minutes at the dealership and they said their two "scanners" could not communicate and program a new key. The stealership said it had something to do with the way the remote start is wired and that is it preventing/blocking the communication between the scanner and car's computer. I have the manual for the remote start and by looking at the wiring diagram, nothing taps into the car's computer. The only possible interference I can comprehend is an 'Ignition Positive and Negative' connection.

2. So then I got on the phone with the installer and he said the remote start wiring has nothing to do with the car's computer and programming a new key. He said I should go to another dealership since the one I went to doesn't know what their doing. Btw, this dealership I went to is one of the largest dealerships on the East Coast.

So who's right / wrong... ? :help: What's causing the issue? :huh:

The model of the remote start / security system is Scytek Galaxy 5100RS

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did an aftermarket system from Python. When I bought it they gave me the option of either doing the key thing, or buying their module to bypass this need. The key was like 50 bucks more than the module so it was a no brainer. Could it be the installer doesn't know what they're doing?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Here's some bad news for you. I went onto the manufacturers site for the alarm system you bought I didn't see a bypass option for the 04 Durango. There was a search option for the bypass options there. If you review the installation manual page 26 item 4, you see it calls out installing the bypass module if you have a factory anti-theft system in the vehicle. So it sounds like in your case the key is your only option.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think there is a TSB out for not being able to program additional keys for early gen2 durango's. I came across it about a year ago while scanning the TSB section on 2ndgendurango.com. I think that it required replacing the FCM or something like that. Unfortunately, 2ndgendurango.com did not renew their domain name and went dead at the end of November. The installer is probably right in saying that the remote start has nothing to do with the problem that the dealership is experiencing.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
there is a module that needs to be replaced hope someone can remember better than me

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do a search on programming additional keys. Theres a thread started by SCA that applies to Durangos built Before May 17 2004. My mistake its the WCM that needs to be replaced.
Unfortunately, my Durango was built before May 2004.

Here's some bad news for you. I went onto the manufacturers site for the alarm system you bought I didn't see a bypass option for the 04 Durango. There was a search option for the bypass options there. If you review the installation manual page 26 item 4, you see it calls out installing the bypass module if you have a factory anti-theft system in the vehicle. So it sounds like in your case the key is your only option.
Yah, I was aware of this and this is why I was told by the installer I would have to get another key to go "under the dash."

I think the dealership didn't know what they were doing. I'm gonna try two others and see what happens.

I did an aftermarket system from Python. When I bought it they gave me the option of either doing the key thing, or buying their module to bypass this need. The key was like 50 bucks more than the module so it was a no brainer. Could it be the installer doesn't know what they're doing?
As stated above, a bypass module will not work.

I believe the installer not the dealership (stealership). This guy has installed many remote starts and does other aftermarket installs.

If anyone has any more info post up otherwise I'll keep you guys up to date with the new dealerships...:tup:

·
Registered
455 Posts
If it was built before May 17 2004 then no dealer will be able to program additional keys without replacing the WCM. Only if it was built after May 17 2004 will they be able to program the additional key. Unfortunately, TSB'S only apply to vehicles under the manufacturerers warranty(3/36). You will have to pay to have the WCM replaced unless you are covered by Chrysler Service Contracts Max Care extended warranty.

·
Blk Hemi Owner
25 Posts
I have An '04 Limited and put a remote start in it @ 2 months ago, fortunately, I didn't have any issues with programing 2 new key's. I believe mine had the module replaced though. I just followed the owners manual and they both programed just fine. Good luck.

·
RangoFuse
112 Posts
abcone has it right.

you can always have the stealership program you a key - so that theyy can diagnose the issue (and fix) then give that key to your installer for the keybox...

it doesnt matter who makes the key - the module is just looking for that RFID to start...

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it was built before May 17 2004 then no dealer will be able to program additional keys without replacing the WCM. Only if it was built after May 17 2004 will they be able to program the additional key. Unfortunately, TSB'S only apply to vehicles under the manufacturerers warranty(3/36). You will have to pay to have the WCM replaced unless you are covered by Chrysler Service Contracts Max Care extended warranty.
The 3/36 warranty was up in 2007 on my Durango but the 70,000 Mile power train warranty is up in 2011.

What is the WCM and how much do they run?

How do I know if I am covered by the 'Chrysler Service Contracts Max Care extended warranty'???

·
Registered
455 Posts
WCM stands for wireless control module and is also referred to in the repair manual as the Sentry Key REmote Entry Module. (SKREEM) It is a micro-processor transceiver that communicates with the sentry key via RFID. It also serves as the remote keyless entry module. It is located on the right side of the steering wheel near the lock cylinder, there is also a integral antenna ring for the remote keyless entry portion. Access is gained by removing the plastic shroud around the steering column. The last part number I have is 56038675AS and MSRP is $52.70. Check with dealership for current part number as they constantly revise part numbers. You would have to had signed a application at time of purchase and pay an additional amount. Upon approval you would have received a service contract in the mail.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WCM stands for wireless control module and is also referred to in the repair manual as the Sentry Key REmote Entry Module. (SKREEM) It is a micro-processor transceiver that communicates with the sentry key via RFID. It also serves as the remote keyless entry module. It is located on the right side of the steering wheel near the lock cylinder, there is also a integral antenna ring for the remote keyless entry portion. Access is gained by removing the plastic shroud around the steering column. The last part number I have is 56038675AS and MSRP is $52.70. Check with dealership for current part number as they constantly revise part numbers. You would have to had signed a application at time of purchase and pay an additional amount. Upon approval you would have received a service contract in the mail.
Thanks so much for your help... you're a life saver! :tup: ;)
I'm the second owner of the car so I didn't sign any additional documents...
abcone has it right.

you can always have the stealership program you a key - so that theyy can diagnose the issue (and fix) then give that key to your installer for the keybox...

it doesnt matter who makes the key - the module is just looking for that RFID to start...
Well they blamed not being able to program a new key on the "wiring" of the remote start. They didn't know what they were doing if you ask me.

One last question:

Can I leave the remote start installed in the vehicle as it is right now and have the WCM replaced by the dealership? :dunno:

·
Registered
455 Posts
According to the thread started on 4/04/2008 by SCA the remote starter installer quoted told customers to have the WCM replaced before the install. I can't see why it would be a issue since the sole purpose of the WCM is to validate the Sentry keys and trmote entry. But to play it safe you might consider removing the remote start. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Computerozed vehicles are fussy beasts.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
According to the thread started on 4/04/2008 by SCA the remote starter installer quoted told customers to have the WCM replaced before the install. I can't see why it would be a issue since the sole purpose of the WCM is to validate the Sentry keys and trmote entry. But to play it safe you might consider removing the remote start. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Computerozed vehicles are fussy beasts.
Alright thanks for your help... i'm gonna give my installer a call today and then get in contact with the stealership about ordering and installing the new WCM.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.