DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I purchased a ProStart remote start kit and cannot find anyone who is able to fit it until after mid-January! Can anyone tell me if this will be easy enough to fit myself, and if so, where to get wiring instructions, etc, for the car? It's a Dodge Caravan Sport 1998 Automatic. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
EASY install - did my 97 about 5 years ago...

One tidbit - one of the "IGN" wires listed (can't remember the color without the wiring chart in front of me) is fed via a diode in the van as well, so there's 1 IGN, 2 ACC to hook up.

Only problem with mine, one of the tach wires (there's 3, 1 for each pair of sparkplugs) didn't work for the car starter - about 1/2 of the time, the van would crank a few seconds, then just stop (car starter went dead) - I changed it to one of the other tach signals, and it works about 99% of the time. Now it once in a very great while will start to crank, then give up before the van is started. - Not sure if it's a coil pack problem, or a PCM problem, but it hasn't gotten any worse than before.

I've put about 20 AstroStarts in my vehicles and friends vehicles - Dodge's are definitely some of the easier installs.

I think I ran the wires through the firewall using the hood release grommet. - I bought a factory hood switch (for the alarm) and wired it up so no drilling either.

Solder your connections, and tape them up well - The module sat right on the sound insulator above the pedals, so it's easy access if you need to reprogram anything.

Good luck!
Billy

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
When I did my Durango, I bought a "T-harness" on ebay-- basically a harness about 12" long that plugs between the vehicle ignition harness and the ignitions switch and has leads already tapped into each wire. It makes the install easier, but what really makes it worthwhile IMO is that if the alarm/starter ever fails so I can't start my truck, I'll be able to quickly unplug it. It's also nice not to have to cut the factory wiring and I was able to make all of the connections for the ignition switch with the alarm harness on the bench, then just plug it in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.