DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have just bought me a new alarm for my 2nd gen. I have no clue how to install it or what it even takes. The alarm I got is the commando FM-870-TK 2-Way Car Alarms, Remote Car Starter w/LCD Pager, Knock Sensor & Temp Sensor. I like the fact I can know what the temp of the interior of the car sitting in my living room. Also it has a knock sensor witch allows someone standing at my car to tap on a designated aria of glass to page me. Now with all that said how do I put the dang thing in? And will it interfere with my current keyless entry? Here is a picture of it, and here is the link too.

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=3273

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dont let your wife watch or your kids help

Try a site like bulldog security website, they have various wiring and install info for cars/trucks. NOTE: dont rely on any of their info though, take a multimeter and poke through the wire to verify. I believe the12volt also has wiring info, it is a great place to learn about relays, as you will need to utilize them for the install. For the door trigger it is easier to find the wires leading to your dome light, it "should" be a negative trigger meaning +12V sits on both lines until a door is opened sending one wire to ground. To bypass the sentry key you can either tape a key next to the sensing unit, buy a module that requires a key installed internally, or aquire a module that is programmable (I beleive mopar has one for there remote starter, a programmable module will require you to have both keys present as well to complete the sequence). You will require 2 relays for the door lock/unlock (it uses a single wire that requires resisters that go to ground to signal the factory module to lock/unlock), one for heater blower, one for defrost (bottom wire off defrost switch 12V), and one for truck release. You will also require a good soldering iron as your connections have to be electrically sound meaning you are going to strip off the insulation, split the wire in approximatly half (be careful when tapping into hot wires as you will become a path to ground), poke the tapping wire through the middle, split the tapping wire in half and wrap each end around the wire moving in an opposite direction. After in is wrapped, flow a healthy amount of solder over the splice to complete the bond. Wrap the splice with GOOD electrical tape 3M super 88 is recommended. Google wire splicing to find some examples. Good luck, leave yourself lots of time to complete an install. PM me if you have any other Q's

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. It does help. Commando sells all the relays I need also. They sent me an email telling me what I need to buy. All I need is the DLR Door Lock relay module, the Autotran bypass module and a R30-H relay. But as far as the electrical tape goes I prefer not to use it. I have good heat shrink I use. Ends in a better look in the end and makes the splice stronger. And I have many solder irons. But if anything comes up I will be sure to ask you for help. Thank you

·
Registered
19 Posts
RE: relays

I would invest money in the security bypass module but use standard relays for the other applications. You should be able to find 3 relays and the required resisters for under $10. Try to find regular ford style relays, they are usually cheaper and have the same layout.The auto wreckers would be a good place to start. Resisters can be found at radio shack. If you need the wiring specs let me know.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i got the specs and i know the relays i need now i think im just going to go to the same comany i bought the alarm from. but the relays are... the DLR Door Lock relay module, the Autotran bypass module and a R30-H relay

·
Registered
19 Posts
I read the specs on your alarm and your alarm doesn't require the dlr door lock module as the neon runs off a negative pulse grounded through resisters. You will require 2 relays for this function and the required resisters (check the bulldog security site for the specs for this). The alarm "should" have a built in relay for the lock/unlock so you might get away with just running the resisters in line to the factory lock/unlock wire. The autotran bypass allows you to start the vehicle without the clutch pushed in, you can manually bypass this but it means it is possible to turn over the starter with the car in gear. The r30-h relay is a basic relay that you will need for the trunk release, its handy as it comes with the wire harness. If you have the sentry key (grey key) you will require the universal transponder but will lose a factory key in the process, you might be able to find a programmable transponder that will bypass the key sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.