DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
sonny
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to relocate the gas tank to the rear. has anyone seen this done so that the filler is located behind the plate like on my roadrunner?

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
Are you looking to use an OEM style tank or something like a fuel cell? A fuel cell could be easily added with a little bit of fabrication. Just make sure you get the correct sending unit so that it matches up with your fuel gauge.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Are you going to do away with the spare? There is a good sized cavity back there. Grady

·
sonny
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
no spare there. lots of missing parts on this one. was wondering if anyone has done this with a car tank and placed the filler behind the license plate. and if the tank would be mounted to low to do this. i guess i could relocate the filler tube to behind the filler but want to find out about hiding it behind the plate first. racing cell i guess would work just have to make a way to connect a filler tube, dont want it in the bed.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
never done it but i had a 66 fury with the filler behind the plate. think you'll be ok. put it up there and see how it looks

·
Registered
904 Posts
The stock tank sucks from the top of the tank so I can't see why moving it a bit aft would made a big difference. The stock tank is too long so you would need to find/fabricate a new tank as you said. There is a lot of space, so you should be able to make a big enough tank w/o it being too thick and hanging too low.

BTW - Seems to be a lot of interest in the original plastic tanks so (if it's still intact) don't bin it without offering it to the group.

BTW#2 - Are you giving up on a spare? Grady

·
Registered
77 Posts
BTW - Seems to be a lot of interest in the original plastic tanks so (if it's still intact) don't bin it without offering it to the group.
I know I still need a tank, so if that is the case, I would be interested. But, I did find this place: AeroTanks

I e-mailed them and have yet to get a reply. Maybe later this week I will give them a call.

sorry to get off topic.

BTW, why do you want to put the tank back there?

·
sonny
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if i put this truck on the strip with slicks i dont want the drive shaft that close to the tank. im cleaning on the plastic tank now, it sat with gas since 98 and had a thick layer of tar like goo in the bottom. i had been driving around with it in the back of my everyday truck for the last two weeks with 3 gallons of totaly awsome sloshing around in it. dumped it today and i think i have most of the goo broke down. gonna put some purple power in and drive around with it some more till i get it clean. if i do relocat it i will sell the original plastic tank. drag racer habits die hard wanting to move the batery to the back to.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
not to hijack the thread buttttttttttttttttttttttttt

what are you using to clean the tank

the box is off my truck while i work on it and i move the truck around every now and then so that things do not seize up

recently it woud not start and i found the carb bowl full of a jelly like substance which i presume was sucked up from the tank

i cleaned the bowl and it fired up but i should empty the tank and clean it out and put some clean gas and sta-bil in it

i suspect the gas in the tank has turned into napalm

·
sonny
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dollar store sells a cleaner called tottally awsome it works well for most things. i had the tank in the back of my driver with 3 gallons of the total awsome and just drove my normal routine for 2 weeks letting slosh and do its job. it got most of it im gonna do the same thing with purple power and see if it will clean the rest

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Are you talking about putting it behind the plate in the bumper? The filler will be too low to be mounted there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm restoring my old '76 now and relocating mine to the rear as well. I'm gonna try and find a rear cross member from a Ram Charger (just pushes it back and gives you more room) and either use a Ram Charger tank or have a custom one made.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The filler has to be higher then the tank. If you mount the filler in the licence plate hole then your tank will have to be lower then the bumper.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Fill what hole?

BTW - One of the problems that been discussed is the existing filler tube tends to back-up and cause the (station) pump to cut off. Meaning you have to trickle gas into the the tank. Don't know how it would apply to you but thought I'd mention it as you move things around.. Grady

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.