DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
bubbagoonboy
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally realized I made the mistake of getting rid of my truck and really miss having a truck. But I'm kind of on a budget and probably won't find the same deal I did with the last one. For all you that has a regular cab, do you regret it at all? Also same question with hemi vs 4.7 anyone regret going smaller? Thanks in advance and hopefully i can join the dodge club again

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I went opposite. Had a regular cab chevy 5.3. That was my work truck. After getting out of that and into this, I would have to say mosy definately love the QC and the Hemi power vs that truck. I would probably go out back and cry myself to sleep if I had to go back to a regular cab, and then ice the cake by going to the 4.7:D But you have to do what you have to do when money is a factor. Good luck. I feel for you.

·
ricer
308 Posts
I too went from a regular cab Chevy with a 4.3 to a QC with the 4.7 and I love my QC and wouldn't be without it again. It is so nice to have the extra room to put things inside out of the weather when you have to. As far as the 4.7 it has ALOT more get up and go to it than the 4.3 had. I got my Dodge with 40,000 miles on it just like when I had gotten my Chevy and like I said there is no comparison. Don't get me wrong I'm not dogging the 4.3 it was one hell of a motor, had 238,000 miles on it when I got rid of it. But to put it all in a nutshell, I love the QC and I love my 4.7. I also run a 3865 SC on my truck too which also made a great improvement.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
If you don't need a Quad Cab, then you should be happy with the regular cab. Plus regular cabs look better. ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
My last truck was a RC GMC. My son still drives the truck and I still love the look of the RC. Visability when driving, backing, towing was also excellent with the RC. With that said though, space became an issue at time with The RC and is now becoming an issue for my son who has a kid of his own now. I love the fact that I can haul six people when necessary now and better console and under seat storage. Wouldn't go back to a RC and love the Hemi.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think the RC's look good!
But ever since I got into the extended cab trucks, starting with a 98, I went to an 01 Quad Cab Dodge 4X4, then my current 02 QC, you just can't beat having a clean, dry, convenient place to throw your stuff.
You can haul extra people, have a bigger better sounding sound system, a place to snooze on long trips, the list goes on and on why I love my QC!
You may love your RC, but you can't beat the advantages of the QC.
Don't know about the 4.7, but the Hemi definitely, IMO, is a vast improvement over the 5.9 from my 01.

·
Official HEMI SPORT Owner
1,359 Posts
If you don't need a Quad Cab, then you should be happy with the regular cab. Plus regular cabs look better. ;)
IMO Quad Cab's Rock!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Nothing as pretty as a RC shortbed, as far as vehicles go. Having said that, wish I had a QC and a Hemi, but that adds about 6 grand to the price of a used truck up here.

·
ricer
308 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
If it's just you and maybe one other, a RC will be fine. Less room inside but also less weight which translates to greater load capacity. If you have kids, dogs or carry a lot of stuff, QC all the way. I would love to have a RCLB 4x4 Hemi but with the grandkids, it's not happening.

Try to stay away from a 4.7.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
No doubt the extended and Crew cabs (any make or model) are more practical and obviously they sell better, but from a looks stand-point, I think they look unbalanced. There's just something about the classic look of a regular cab truck that I prefer. (I've owned several extended/Quad models though, too) ;)

·
Takin' Care of Old Red
881 Posts
Reg vs Quad cab is based on need IMO, I have always had a quad cab and loved it. I don't have a family or anything to need it, but its nice to haul stuff you want to keep dry or fit a bunch of friends when you go out. Now on the 4.7 vs Hemi... I would get a Hemi hands down. With a 4.7, you will be getting less power and same gas mileage for almost the same price. I honestly believe you will regret a 4.7 in the long run. Good motor, but you will just want more

·
Biggin
910 Posts
Big advantage of a regular cab?

Very few people try to mooch a ride. Especially your CB mount covers the middle seat.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Regular cabs are way more fun to drive.....handle better...turn sharper and look allot better. If i did not need the room i would not have a 4 door.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i had a reg cab-3.7- the standard cab is alright if you just drive around by yourself- if you want passengers and to carry stuff (tools etc) the quad cab is the way to go~ mines the 5.7 and my brother in law has the 4.7-- the difference isn't THAT much stronger but i think the 47 had more problems down the road... id say go for the quad and HEMI-- i did and NO REGRETS!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Regular cab with a short box for me. I too think they look the best. It's just the wife and I now since my daughter got married so no need for the back seat. The '03 and later have about a foot behind the seat so you can recline and stuff some essentials back there.

As far as the engine go with the Hemi if you can. The V6 and smaller V8 get about the same mileage anyway. BTW, if you are looking for fuel economy look elsewhere!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Reg vs Quad cab is based on need IMO, I have always had a quad cab and loved it. I don't have a family or anything to need it, but its nice to haul stuff you want to keep dry or fit a bunch of friends when you go out. Now on the 4.7 vs Hemi... I would get a Hemi hands down. With a 4.7, you will be getting less power and same gas mileage for almost the same price. I honestly believe you will regret a 4.7 in the long run. Good motor, but you will just want more
Bingo! Very much agree. You get more hp & torque with basically the same fuel mileage. The 4.7L is a good engine, but the Hemi is just better. Besides, "That thang got a 4.7L?" just doesn't sound right. :D

As far as RC vs QC, even if I didn't have a family, I'd still opt for the QC. I don't always want to have "stuff" exposed in the bed.

·
Registered
348 Posts
As stated before, if you need the extra room, go for the quad. My regualr cab has enough room behind the seats for my stuff. Parking the thing is a lot easier and I can reach the rear window. The ride on the quad is better due to the extra 20 inches of wheelbase. The new 4.7s are strong, but there was a big difference in performace compared to the 5.7 in the earlier third generation. There was also the head gasket issue.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.