Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 01' 1500 sport with a 360.

I have recently replaced the engine, and have had problems ever since. I have replaced the distributor twice and the crank position sensor once since the swap.

I am beginning to wonder if there isn't a deeper problem causing the failures, or just lame parts. Poor procedure isn't ruled out here either.

I should add that before I worked on it, it ran fine aside from a leaky fuel rail.

Last night I replaced my fuel rail. I fired it up fine, and ran good for like 45 seconds, then sputter and died with I believe p0334 code.... whatever the camshaft position sensor malfunction is.

I know that doesn't always mean camshaft sensor, but it is starting to get frustrating.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Well let's start with what motor did you replace it with? Same displacement? When you put in the distributor did you set the fuel sync? If you replaced the fuel rail you will have to get all the air out it or it will stall. Are you getting any other codes? This is where your distributor should be set at tdc on #1 compression stroke.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the engine with a spartan/atk re-manufactured long block..... The displacement I assume is slightly more. I had the fuel synced and had the fuel lines primed. It ran fine before I parked it for repairs, and ran fine for about another minute after. Then it coded and died.

unless air left in the lines could make it code like that, I feel like there is a deeper problem that keeps causing the failure. I figure with the lines pressurized, any air in the lines would be purged before fuel got a chance to get to the injectors. However I have most definitely been wrong before.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I figure with the lines pressurized, any air in the lines would be purged before fuel got a chance to get to the injectors.
If the system was a return stye it would but second gens are not as far as i know. If there is air it will stay there until it goes threw the injectors or you can manually let it out by the test port. Sounds like you have two different issues. Get the exact code you are getting and post back. P0340 is for the cam sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the code I am getting......... I also went and checked the ground on the ecm. It was loose and I wonder if maybe it could have damaged it.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Also check that wiring "harnesses" etc are not too close to plug and coil wires, possibly inducing current into harnesses (especially if any secondary components are weak/faulty).
... Although harnesses are not shown in this TSB, it should be done (keep in mind proper separation from ignition harnesses/wiring etc)

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also check that wiring "harnesses" etc are not too close to plug and coil wires, possibly inducing current into harnesses (especially if any secondary components are weak/faulty).
... Although harnesses are not shown in this TSB, it should be done (keep in mind proper separation from ignition harnesses/wiring etc)

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm
I never considered that. I have extra thick braided shielding on my wires, but could still be possible. The wires I have don't allow me to route them like the diagram shows, but that is something to look into.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.