DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I have an '02 Durango with somewhere around 80,000 miles on it. I just realized it still has the original tires when my wife got a flat yesterday. So I'm in the market for some replacements.

The OEM tires are: Goodyear Wrangler RT/S P265 / 70 R16

Things to consider:
We aren't going to keep the SUV for much longer and want to get a Minivan instead.
We don't go off roading
We do drive in snow since we're in WI.
We don't tow anything of any significant weight
We just use the truck for general running around town and the occasional trip up north but that's mostly over until spring.

So, I went to Walmart.com and they had for possibilities:

Goodyear Wrangler RT/S(P) - Tire Type: Light Truck-On/Off Road
$140.00 each

Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor - Tire Type: Light Truck-Highway
$175.00 each

Goodyear Tracker 2 - Tire Type: Light Truck-Highway
$90.00 each
Was: $103.82

Goodyear Fortera TripleTred - Tire Type: SUV/Light Truck-Highway
$170.00 each

The $90 ones are looking great since the others are double the price but I don't know anything about them.

So of course I went to TireRack and they have 50 or so tires to choose from ranging from $90 to $170 each but don't have the Tracker 2's listed anywhere on their site at all.

So, can anyone either recommend me what's good in the budget price range. Or even recommend what's not good that I should stay away from?

Also the spare is a fullsize spare so do I need to worry about driving on it? I assume not really but if I have to have tires shipped in, that will take a bit.

Thanks!

· T's99Durango
428 Posts
I would not spend any more the I had to, knowing i was getting rid of the vehicle!!!! shop around for some cheepies

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I guess I need to clarify my initial post. I'm not looking for sites that I can buy cheap tires, I'm looking for recommendations of specific tires that are cheap but still decent.

Would the $90 ones from Walmart be decent tires or are they know to be crap? Are there others that are under $100 but are actually great tires?

I don't necessarily want to buy the cheapest tires I can find if they don't handle well, don't work in the snow, are going to ride very rough, etc.

Thanks.

· Registered
211 Posts
I have found that the old phrase "you get what you pay for" really applies to tires. I have the Firestones in my sig below. They cost over $600, but they have been the best tires I have EVER owned so far.

· Registered
190 Posts
When you say that you are not keeping the truck very long, how long do you plan on keeping it??? What will happen if something changes and you are not able to buy the minivan?? I am all for saving money where I can, but I would rather spend the money on good tires then take my chances with crappy ones. My suggestion is BFG's, maybe more expensive but worth it IMHO.

· Registered
461 Posts
If you're only keeping it for another couple of months, then why not search around for a decent used set? BFG all terrains are an excellent tire, but probably not the cheapest. General Grabber AT2 are very similar to the bfg's tread design, and are probably cheaper. But i'd still vote to find a good used set locally if not planning on keeping it.

· Registered
249 Posts
Not sure if they still carry them or even in the size you need, but a few years ago I got a set of the Liberator tires at Walmart, they were definitely cheap but at the same time performed very well.

· '02 Dakota QC SLT Plus
374 Posts
I run General Ameritrac P255/70/R16s on my Durango and Dakota QC. They are great tires and last a long time. Best of all, I just replaced them on my Durango (after 60K miles and tread remaining) for about $100 a corner. Can't beat that...

· Platinum 2K R/T
4,042 Posts
jmac2000dge said:
If you're only keeping it for another couple of months, then why not search around for a decent used set?
I agree with finding a good used set. Less than half the price as new and sometimes you can luck out and get them very good tread wear. With the flat all you need is to purchase two for $40-80. That size should be easy to find. I looked for nearly a year and couldn't find ANY used tires that fit my D so I broke down and bought some BFG Long Trail T/As.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.