DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have a 07' 6.7 4x4 mega short bed. I'd like to haul our familys gooseneck on it when we fill it heavy for the deer lease. I'm one of the only family members with a diesel.. So it would save us alot on the long run over running the 3/4 ton gas farm truck up there. What brake controller would you guys recommend? i still have the factory pigtail for wiring in a brake controller, and it came with the 7 pin mounted on the bumper from the factory.

Thanks!

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
I got a P3. Also got the harness. So I just had to plug each end in. It's easy to use, and set up. :tup:

·
Fathead
1,046 Posts
It really comes down to what features you feel you need. They are all pretty good if you get something new and don't cheap out during the purchase. I forget what model mine is, but it's a step down from the P3 and it does everything I need from it quite well...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use a P3 for towing our 32' travel trailer and after getting it set up correctly it is amazing.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Prodigy :rck:

·
rockcrawler
251 Posts
Prodigy:D

·
Fathead
1,046 Posts
Well, that's a unanimous 5 votes for a Tekonsha so far... Mine is the Primus IQ and is also a very good unit. Make sure you get a proportional unit and that it can handle the number of axles you will have. To be honest they will all work quite well, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend. Mine was a gift, so I didn't necessarily get to choose, but I love how easy it is to use and its more than I will ever need.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hayes G2. Love it.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
I have a Hoppy Impulse digital, I picked it up at Tractor Supply for around $50 or so. I bought it in 2000 & it is in it's 3rd Dodge truck since purchased. No problems at all. Works great.

http://www.hopkinsmfg.com/37875.html

IMHO, an important feature to have is: being able to quickly activate JUST the trailer brakes while keeping your eyes on the road. The first time you are towing in the winter & have your trailer start to come around---you'll know why. It saved mine on 2 seperate occasions.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I have a Hoppy Impulse digital, I picked it up at Tractor Supply for around $50 or so. I bought it in 2000 & it is in it's 3rd Dodge truck since purchased. No problems at all. Works great.

http://www.hopkinsmfg.com/37875.html

IMHO, an important feature to have is: being able to quickly activate JUST the trailer brakes while keeping your eyes on the road. The first time you are towing in the winter & have your trailer start to come around---you'll know why. It saved mine on 2 seperate occasions.
Thats why I like the Prodigy, spin the dial down to nothing in less than a second and the trailer is no longer locked up, INSTANTLY.

·
rockcrawler
251 Posts
Thats why I like the Prodigy, spin the dial down to nothing in less than a second and the trailer is no longer locked up, INSTANTLY.
What model Prodigy do you have? Mine you have to stop, engage the brake with the slide lever and then you can adjust the voltage. No on the fly except ramp profile. You can move the dial all over, its inactive unless your holding the slide brake over.

FWIW I think Twinstick was refering to using the manual slide brake to drag the trailer brake. I use mine if its really windy and the trailer get pushed hard and tries to sway. Checks the sway really quick. I've used mine the same way he describes in the snow as well. Another trick is if the trailer has sat for awhile drag the brake for a few feet when you pull out to knock the rust off the inside of the drum.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
What model Prodigy do you have? Mine you have to stop, engage the brake with the slide lever and then you can adjust the voltage. No on the fly except ramp profile. You can move the dial all over, its inactive unless your holding the slide brake over.

FWIW I think Twinstick was refering to using the manual slide brake to drag the trailer brake. I use mine if its really windy and the trailer get pushed hard and tries to sway. Checks the sway really quick. I've used mine the same way he describes in the snow as well. Another trick is if the trailer has sat for awhile drag the brake for a few feet when you pull out to knock the rust off the inside of the drum.

Yes, that. You WANT JUST the trailer brakes to be applied when the trailer starts to "come around" or "pass you". You speed the truck up while applying the trailer brakes only. That will usually put it back in place. For windy days & bad trailer sway, just apply the trailer brakes only to get it back in check. Then, as soon as you can safely stop, you stop & change your underware, because it does scare the living shit out of you. I know it don't seem natural to speed up in the snow & goes against what you think you should do, but it works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts