DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Diesel 4 Life
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an in-dash DVD player form my 2004 Ram. I am considering a Alpine IVA-D105 but am open to other units.

Also anyone running a motorized screen in their ram? I am worried it might hit the dash when it opens (there is a little dash overhang right above the radio spot).

·
September 2007 ROTM
1,332 Posts
I still have my 3 year old Jenson 7" DVD/MP3 player. It was one of the first models and it was one of the most inexpensive at the time. Although it's not TOP OF THE LINE like an Alpline, I have had ZERO problems with it and the picture quality is excellent in my opinion. The motorized screen does sit against the dash but with most TVs nowadays, they have a 'tilt' option which can tilt the screen frontwards/backwards at different angles. I have mine set to tilt back and lean up against the "overhang" you refer to. I haven't had any problems with it in 3 years.

Alpine or Kenwood will serve you right. They have a lot more features than my Jensen does (as far as audio outputs and such), so it really depends if you're looking for a TV to hook up to your stock stereo or if you're going aftermarket. If you're going for an expensive aftermarket stereo system, I would probably do the Alpine/Kenwood route (higher end stuff). I wasn't planning on doing any serious audio equipment, so the Jensen fit my needs.

Hope this helps :tup:

·
Diesel 4 Life
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ZAZ it does help...

·
jokersHEMI
615 Posts
I have a Pioneer Avic N-1, had it for about a year and love the units capabilties. I am selling it for $600 shipped if your interested?

Attachments

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
jokersmith said:
I have a Pioneer Avic N-1, had it for about a year and love the units capabilties. I am selling it for $600 shipped if your interested?
This is one of my favorite looking interior mods, but I'm concerned about the screen bouncing too much when I'm going down dirt roads and breaking. Am I being a little too concerned? I use my truck to go to the woods a lot (hence the Kore Suspension and 35" tires), but I really don't like the stock dodge stereo (I'm having to replace the stock stereo under warranty for a second time).

·
September 2007 ROTM
1,332 Posts
04Ram2500Hemi said:
This is one of my favorite looking interior mods, but I'm concerned about the screen bouncing too much when I'm going down dirt roads and breaking. Am I being a little too concerned? I use my truck to go to the woods a lot (hence the Kore Suspension and 35" tires), but I really don't like the stock dodge stereo (I'm having to replace the stock stereo under warranty for a second time).
Well, New Orleans streets aren't considered off-road terrain, but I will tell you that it is pothole city. They even hired a company down here that developed some trucks that are called "the pothole killers" -- that should tell you how bad the situation is down here. Anyway, with a suspension drop of any kind (I have a 2/4), or even stock suspension, the roads are horrible to drive down. As long as the TV sits flush against the dash (like I have mine set to), it doesn't ever bounce around, and I always have it flipped open when I'm driving.

I would say not to be too concerned about it. I'm sure others will chime in shortly.

·
jokersHEMI
615 Posts
You could always just close the lid when your doing your major off-roading! I have never had mine flopping around, these things are extremely strong. Are you interested in mine?

·
9,640 Posts
jokersmith said:
You could always just close the lid when your doing your major off-roading! I have never had mine flopping around, these things are extremely strong. Are you interested in mine?
I was thinking of more down the road if I upgrade the system in my truck, so I'm not intrested. Thanks for asking though.

·
Diesel 4 Life
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jokersmith said:

Not for $600... WOW I found them used on ebay for $325... LOL Good luck..

·
jokersHEMI
615 Posts
Rhinohd said:
Not for $600... WOW I found them used on ebay for $325... LOL Good luck..
Good luck with eBay. I was scammed twice on there when I was trying to buy this one. Luckily I got my money back!

·
1 TIM 6:12 Fight RIGHT!!
2,160 Posts
Not to sound out of line, but is it illegal in any state to have FRONT dash mounted DVD players in vehicles? I know we had a driver get convicted for manslaughter and sent away for many years. He got in a head-on wreck whlie watching a DVD in his vehicle and killed another motorist.
I may be in the minority here but my feeling is that DVD's should be played at HOME, or for the kids in the BACK seat. JMHO I do NOT mean to offend anyone.

·
9,640 Posts
funinak said:
Not to sound out of line, but is it illegal in any state to have FRONT dash mounted DVD players in vehicles? I know we had a driver get convicted for manslaughter and sent away for many years. He got in a head-on wreck whlie watching a DVD in his vehicle and killed another motorist.
I may be in the minority here but my feeling is that DVD's should be played at HOME, or for the kids in the BACK seat. JMHO I do NOT mean to offend anyone.
It's illegal in MOST states (probably should be illegal in all). Last I knew, it wasn't illegal in Montana, but we're about 30 years behind every other state in the country as it is anyways.

·
2,160 Posts
04Ram2500Hemi said:
It's illegal in MOST states (probably should be illegal in all). Last I knew, it wasn't illegal in Montana, but we're about 30 years behind every other state in the country as it is anyways.
I thought so............????? so how or better yet WHY is everyone doing it?
And as far as Montana being behind, You got NOTHING on AK, don't even get me started.... Heck I know many people FROM Montana that have come up to Alaska to escape the rat race. Hey but at least OUR Governor is hotter than YOUR Governor :rck:

OH BTW, WHY did you get rid of your 74?? :huh:

·
9,640 Posts
funinak said:
I thought so............????? so how or better yet WHY is everyone doing it?
And as far as Montana being behind, You got NOTHING on AK, don't even get me started.... Heck I know many people FROM Montana that have come up to Alaska to escape the rat race. Hey but at least OUR Governor is hotter than YOUR Governor :rck:

OH BTW, WHY did you get rid of your 74?? :huh:
I didn't know that Montana had a rat race (I always thought it was more of a jog than a run). Alaska is an amazing area. I've only been up there once, but if I had to leave Montana, I'd be headed north. And yeah, your govenor is hotter than ours.

The 72 had to hit the road. It was a cool truck, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for in an older truck. I sold it for more than I paid for it, and turned my 04 from a stock 2500 to what it is today, so all in all it served it's purpose.

·
2,160 Posts
Thats COOL you got what you wanted out of it. AND the spousal unit was OK with you spending all the excess on your mods!!

·
9,640 Posts
funinak said:
Thats COOL you got what you wanted out of it. AND the spousal unit was OK with you spending all the excess on your mods!!
Yeah, the spouse was pretty damn cool about it all.

·
Diesel 4 Life
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
jokersmith said:
Good luck with eBay. I was scammed twice on there when I was trying to buy this one. Luckily I got my money back!

Sorry you got scammed. I have bought a bunch of stuff (including audio equipment) from ebay without a hitch. Besides I use my AMEX card via paypal and they have awesome fraud protection...

·
Diesel 4 Life
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
funinak said:
Correct me if I am wrong but unless you bypass the function, in-dash DVD units won't play dvd's in anything but park. And I don't plan on watching them while driving. My wife might watch when we are traveling but I'd like to think I am discipline enough not to give it my attention. I just want the functionality of a larger display...

·
jokersHEMI
615 Posts
Of course these are illegal to watch and drive, but they can be bypassed eaily because it is not illegal in Europe and they sell the same ubit over their so they needed an easy way to make them bypassable. Most of the time I just listen to the news in the morning on the TV on my way to work, never really get caught up watching it. I'll put a concert DVD in to play but rarely watch it while driving. No worse than the driving while texting idiots out their. Or the reading the newspaper morons, I have seen a couple of them also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.