·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Ya we can't have both Performance and Budget somthing has to give :(

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
what would be the best way to go? small cam? or just the 1.7's? i havent had a chance to look at the links for the kegger mods. but i hope its something beneficial. it just sucks right now because im paying my way through the academy and my motor has to start tiring out on my at the same time! WTF?!?! lol

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
At what stage are you at have you started pulling the motor ?

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
If you havent started yet then I would not think you need a rebuild. A quick fix would be to repair the belly pan on the intake. For sure it has a leak and would be the cause of the poor performance. You could pull the intake over a weekend and be back up and running 75% better on Monday.

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Does the engine burn oil or coolant ?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Internally I would get the block squared and get the compression up. I have heard that the magnum blocks last a long time so you might be able to just get away with just a hone for the cylnders.

Count on replacing the heads since the magnum heads are prone to cracking. Either get a reman for cheap or Engine Quest Reman with 2.02 valves. Very nice preformance heads.

The intake is a 2 piece there are several mods going on right now. Check out the forum search for intake mods or Kegger Mods. It would be a good idea to get a belly pan from ??? I can't remember who from...

Get the rotating assembly internally balanced you will have once nice engine. Plus, it should still pass emissions and kick ass.
One warning on the EQ heads with 2.02 valves (if you buy them on EBAY from Clearwater Cylinder Heads) you need to have them checked out before installing. My heads with 2.02 valves had the stock seats under them (1.92 I think) so needless to say they didn't seat correctly!!:bawl: I didn't realize this until I had ran them for about 400 miles. I called Clearwater about it, and there was no apologies for thier crappy work. I decided rather than fooling with returning them, and possibly getting another bad set, I am just having my local machine shop (who I trust) fix them. Hopefully I will be getting everything back next week.

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Damn that is not good thanks for the tip, it really sucks to be ripped.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You got that right!! Hopefully I can help someone else from going thru this!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
like the pm i replied back to being in cali suck's....smog nazzi will get you if you not carefull...pick your parts carefully

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
^ I agree with above about replacing the plenum gasket (if bad).
You might be better off just driving it until you have the funds to do what you want (regarding upgrades & rebuild).
Unless it's knocking, smoking, or using a ridiculous amount of fuel, I'd just drive it until you are more financially ready.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
i did a full tune up (cap rotors plugs) and the truck still has a little lopey shake at idle. the oil pressure gauge sometimes reads then goes back down to nothing, and theres a small rattle that sounds like its coming from the motor, but its not a knock or a valve tick. its much faster and flows with the rpm's starting at about 2200 then goes away at about 3500. no i havent started pulling the motor yet. when im driving then step on it, theres a little smoke out the pipes and my buddy said it stunk like raw fuel. but its weird because other than that it runs really smooth. just lacking all bottom end power. and yes i am having to fill up the coolant all the time! so im guessing head gasket?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
and what is the belly pan? does it have that big metal pan instead on just intake gaskets like the Ford 460 has?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
If i dont need a full rebuild just yet, i might just drop the pan and put a new oil pump in it, and take the top end off and put new head gaskets and intake gaskets and clean up the tops of the pistons and heads? just rip it down to short block still in the truck and go from there maybe?

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
and what is the belly pan? does it have that big metal pan instead on just intake gaskets like the Ford 460 has?
the belly pan is a metal pan that is bolted onto the bottom of the intake. it separates the lifter valley and the intake manifold.
if it's eating coolant then you probably have a bad head gasket rather than plenum. Either way you will need to remove the intake.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
ok ya so its the valley pan. ya ill end up just pullin the top end off. and if any pistons look steam cleaned then i know my problem :worthy:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I meant to say head gasket. now that i look back at it. lol.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.