DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wrenching for a while now but I dont know about this one. Someone said I could rebuild my failing Auburn LSD in my 2000 Ram myself.

I assumed that took some major specialty tools to do??

Any ideas?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I spent a few years in the differential industry when I lived in Washington State. I've been out of the industry for a while now, but unless something has recently changed, you can't rebuild an Auburn posi, regardless of what tools you have. They use cone style clutches that ride up into the case to engage. When they wear out, they're done. Hope that helps.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Well, there is definitely an Auburn rebuild kit. In fact, it cost $135 from Randy's Ring and Pinion. I know because I had to buy two of them (though Auburn paid me back for one). My original Auburn failed on me after many years (retainer clip that holds the springs in place broke), so I had it rebuilt using the Auburn rebuild kit which I paid for. Upon install though, the kits retainer clip broke again in the same place the original one did. So, the shop ordered another Auburn rebuild kit (which Auburn paid for), then installed it a little more carefully. It has been fine since.

FYI, Auburn said the failure I had (the original and the one during install) is actually a known problem they have seen from the units sold a few years back (my first one was from 2005). They said it is common to the ones sold as part# AG1505, which is the part number of the ones I had break. They have since replaced that design with a new one, and it is part# AG542070. The new unit is much better, and supposedly has no issues like this (reinforced or redesigned in that area on the retainer clip that is prone to breaks). The rebuild kit I got from them after the install failure was this new part#. No problems so far, and it has been a year since it was installed.

I'm not sure what all is in the rebuild kit, but the shop that installed it for me said you basically have a new unit (or good as new) when they are done. That is one of the selling points for the Auburn units, they can be rebuilt rather then replaced. They make good stuff overall, and they did everything they could to make sure I was a happy customer.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know what equipment they had to have in order to rebuild it? I mean I have a huge Snap-On toolbox full of tools, impacts, etc. Im wondering if you have to have some specialty tools, large hydraulic press, or something of the like?

I really really appreciate the great response with kit numbers though, much help!!! I installed this unit back in Sept of 2000 and only within the last year or so I've noticed on dry pavement the truck does not get sideways anymore. So, it's got about 9 years and 65K or so on it, all HARD miles lol.

I plan to pull the Detroit Locker out of my 96, to put in my 2000. And figured if I could rebuild the Auburn from my 2000 Ram, and put it back in my 96, that would be perfect for my dad since Im giving him that truck to use when I get the old KRC engine pulled out and a stocker dropped back in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Guys, first of all, let me say that Randy's Ring & Pinion is the best one stop shop for all your differential needs! They are dedicated to providing customers with the highest quality automotive differential parts at low prices with fast, friendly, and knowledgeable service in an environment based on mutual respect. (hopefully I'm not giving myself away here... :D )
That being said, I'm going to stand by my original comments and tell you Auburn Gear positractions are not rebuildable, regardless of what tools you have, as noted on their website.

Link: http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/d-rex.aspx

Hope that helps.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. Randys says that AG 542070-HP is $433.58 and non rebuildable, but I'm looking at my receipt from that work and it says: Rebuild Kit - Auburn 540270HP $135.

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
If you are talking about the factory unit. I bought the clutchpack and new clips at the dealership and installed in a couple of hours. -works like new. You don't even have to pull the carrier out. You do have to remove the C-clips and pull the axles.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope this is not a Dana Trac-Loc, it's an Auburn.

I'll call 4WheelParts here local where I got my Detroit and gears for my 96 Ram and see if that rebuild kit number is in their system and if they can get me one. Worst case scenario is I'd have to take it somewhere to have it installed if I find I dont have the necessary tools to do it myself.

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
oops. I can't believe I missed that.
another example of why not to answer threads while sleeping...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.