DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, yes I am a little confused. I have been trying since I got my R/T in October to figure out how to flip the rear wiper outward. I am sure we have all flipped the front wiper outward to clean the windshield but does the rear wiper do this? My second question is has anybody had to replace theirs? What model and manufacturer did yo use?

·
Registered
367 Posts
This is one of the lamest parts of the car. I bet they just used what they use on all the mommy vans. It's cheapo plastic, it doesn't swing out for easy cleaning of the rear glass (something done quite frequently due to the station wagon effect) and I bet removal is a bugger! I would almost rather have a black rubber plug in it's hole.

·
Registered
205 Posts
will a front wiper arm fit on the mount/stem?

·
Registered
366 Posts
flhthemi,
I take mine off every summer and put it back on in the winter. Just got back from an 800 mile trip in rainy weather. Without the wiper and washer, I'd have had to stop every 50 miles or so to clean the damn rear window. Seriously, I've never seen anything like it. Bet I went through most of the washer fluid, too. Here are some pix of the filth, and the summer removal mod. That is a tapered stainless steel sleeve held on by the acorn nut.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yeah, it sucks. Also with that huge back window why does it only clean like 1/4 of it? And the washer fluid mostly dribbles down the back. I'm sure you could fit most any wider on it. I think I'll give it a shot this weekend to find out.

·
Registered
367 Posts
magnuman said:
flhthemi,
I take mine off every summer and put it back on in the winter. Just got back from an 800 mile trip in rainy weather. Without the wiper and washer, I'd have had to stop every 50 miles or so to clean the damn rear window. Seriously, I've never seen anything like it. Bet I went through most of the washer fluid, too. Here are some pix of the filth, and the summer removal mod. That is a tapered stainless steel sleeve held on by the acorn nut.
Where did you find that sleeve? Does it have to be tapered?

Now i'm thinking.... I have a little chrome plate that I could bolt on that acorn nut and use the plate to stick a sign on.....like "Look At Dis!"

·
Registered
366 Posts
flhthemi,
No, the sleeve doesn't have to be tapered, but you'll get a tighter fit if it is. Here's how I did this: The wiper is held on with a small metric nut. Don't remember the size, but the back side of the wiper (where the shaft is) is a hinged cover. Just snap it up gently and you'll see the nut. The shaft is a tapered, grooved thingy with the male threads. Gently pry up on the wiper assembly to get it off. Don't scratch your baby. You may have to use a little force, a tap with a hammer while pulling up, or puller the first time. Just don't overtighten the nut when you put it back on and it will be easy next time. The stainless steel sleeve (no rust) is some kind of concrete expansion sleeve and is also tapered on the inside. I went to my local nut and bolt supplier and showed him what I needed and that is what he came up with. I had to use my carbide cutoff saw to cut it to the correct length though. Finding the metric acorn nut was also fun. I think I finally found it at Home Depot or Lowes...don't remember. Anyway, in the winter I take it off, wrap it in cloth and put it in the spare tire well so it won't rattle around. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
366 Posts
flhthemi,
Don't want to mislead you. I just went out and installed my little rear wiper sleeve for the summer. It IS NOT tapered like I thought, but has a fairly thick wall. The shaft is only tapered near the top where the wiper slides over the serrations. Sorry.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That rear wiper has to go.

My rear wiper never even worked properly since I bought the car in September. I complained once and they just changed the rubber and said, "all done". Exactly the same....It skips, drags and lifts no matter what the weather conditions, and it has been horrible at moving even light snow. It looks like they went with the same set up on the 2006 SRT-8. I might hire a guy to run behind me with a bucket of water :IDEA:
I am seriously considering having the whole arm removed, having it plugged and filled and properly painted over, like it was never there, then deal with dirt basically as I am now anyway with the stupid thing on. I photoshopped what it might look like without the arm, I could live with that!

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
DECOBILL,
What kind of tension does the wiper arm have against the window? The spring under the arm should have a fair amount of tension holding it against the window. I haven't had any trouble with skipping, dragging, or lifting. Also haven't used mine in the snow yet, so I can't speak to that. I am a sissy and usually leave it in the garage when (and if) it ever snows here. Drive the old Grand Wagoneer then.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I drove Station Wagons for years when I was doing the Field Service thing, the best/coolest car for service types in my opinion. They all suffer the same aerodynamic fate for the most part, with the rear window needing constant attention.

I really feel for those who put the pics up of the salted out winter driven Magnums, major bummer..

I've used my wiper a few times now and I'm not real impressed either - but luckily,
I live not far from Atlanta where snow isn't a real issue :)

Mike

·
Registered
367 Posts
magnuman said:
flhthemi,
Don't want to mislead you. I just went out and installed my little rear wiper sleeve for the summer. It IS NOT tapered like I thought, but has a fairly thick wall. The shaft is only tapered near the top where the wiper slides over the serrations. Sorry.
No problem! Ok I bet I will have no problem finding what I need around here to do the same thing. I might just get a picture of a hand, palm facing out like a traffic cop telling you to stop, and put it in that chrome plate I have. I could bolt that on the wiper shaft and every Musting I pass I could turn on the wiper motor and wave bye-bye to em'. would that tick them off or whut :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
I too would like to have the rear wiper to be able to "swing out" for window cleaning. However, although I'm not sure, I have an idea why it's not spring loaded like the front wipers. Could it be to add the extra tension that's needed to keep the wiper next to the window during highway speeds? It seems to me that the aerodynamics of the body forces air right down the face of the rear window. With a spring loaded wiper, this would make it nearly impossible to maintain a good window contact.

I live in CA and have yet to drive in snow. But, as far as rain goes, mine has done a great job in any rain condition. And I've got to tell you one thing. It's rained just about every weeks since I've picked up my car last year. I'm so sick of rain, I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I think Dodge should have designed the rear spioler with a small gap to the roof to direct the air down the back glass.If I remember right it worked pretty well with the wagons of the past to keep the back of the car some what cleaner than those without the spoiler.

·
Registered
290 Posts
it needs a rear wing like some of the dodge caravans come with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.