DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got an issue with the rear window wiper. The problem is the wiper is sitting down on body of the D instead of the window when in the off position. It still moves and makes a bunch of racket when it is going from window to body so on and so forth... From my previous experience with wipers they are just keyed on a shaft and all you have to do is remove wiper and reposition...
I tried doing this on the D and I couldn't get the arm off of the shaft. I didn't want to try to "jack armstrong" it and break something. So I am asking here. How do I move the wiper so it won't rest on the body???

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Just take the little plastic cover off, untighten it and move it back in the propper position....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that and it didn't want to move... I removed the nut and the funny washer and the wiper wouldn't move. Trying to move the wiper counter clockwise or pulling it straight off, the shaft would just move with it. I was afraid to torque on it too much. Maybe I am thinking too much about this??? I'll try again at lunch.

·
Hemi User
1,719 Posts
I tried to get mine off and could not do it. Took the nut and washer off, then even tried to use a small gear puller on it but she wouldn't budge. Mine is angled up slightly and I wanted to reposition it a hair.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am starting to think that in order to fix it, you have to pull the cover off the hatch? and rotate the motor assembly. I am not really excited about that but I wasn't able to get it to move either. If you look closely at the shaft, you can see that it is splined but there are just maybe 16 splines that go around, not the very fine ones that I am used to...

Does anyone have the maintenance manual for the 2G D? Maybe they can look up this area and see if we can figure it out.

With the wiper being on the paint, it is only a matter of time before it wrecks the paint.

Luckily it doesn't rain much in AZ!

·
Hemi User
1,719 Posts
IN my Haynes Repair Manual it says to remove the cap, nut, and washer, then lift wiper of the window hinging it towards you to remove spring tension, then pull it of the shaft. :SPIN: Yeah right! :crazy:

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
IN my Haynes Repair Manual it says to remove the cap, nut, and washer, then lift wiper of the window hinging it towards you to remove spring tension, then pull it of the shaft. :SPIN: Yeah right! :crazy:
That is how I did mine back a while.....
Lube always helps :)

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
tape newspaper around that area and spray the heck out of it w/wd40 and SLIGHTLY tap w/ hammer

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
If that doesn't help take the sledge and tap slightly!
Make sure when you reinstall the wiper to put some VASELINE on the SHAFT!:rck:
might as well back the D into a wall then:D guys u can order vaseline from sca he has CASES!!!:D:rck:

·
Registered
681 Posts
So, anyone get this fixed?

Mine be hanging low also. It seems to be a common problem. The gears must not be up to the task, and develop excessive backlash.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Mines just off the window, I thought it was normal, it does have some play side to side I was thinking I'd have to tape the inner panel off and snug some nuts or something.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still haven't fixed it... I still can't get the wiper arm off. It is stuck good. We don't have too much need for it yet so I haven't been too motivated to take it off. I don't want to break something and then have to shell out some $ to fix it...

I agree, seems like the whole motor assembly is rotating inside the tailgate (or is it a hatch?). Maybe I'll pull the plastic this week and take a look...

·
Chief's Pride!!!
2,497 Posts
I had the same problem when I removed mine to paint it, I had to muscle it off, what a pain in the ......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.