DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have a problem with the rear vents not throwing out any heat? The front vents work fine, so it's no biggie at the moment, but my kid complains there's no heat when she turns of the vents in the 2nd row. I checked the controls, they seem ok, and they definately blow out cold air for the AC.

First vehicle I've had with rear controls, so I'm not familiar with any tricks or tips or problems.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ever since I have owned my durango mine havent either, I figured this is just how it is???

·
Registered
248 Posts
DO you have the directional control set to blow out the top vents? If not that is why. If it is set to blow out on the floor vents, nothing comes out the top. I just figured this out myself after 2 years of owning the D. If youhave it set on floor vents, check the one large vent on the pasenger side behind the 2nd row and see if it comes out there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to give it a try. Thought I checked it with only the dash vents, but I don't remember. Thanks for the help. I'll try it later and check back in.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
What year D? 98-99 Have a different control system operation from the 2000-2003

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an '01 SLT with the 2nd row seat heater/ac controls.

I did try all the settings up front, multiple combos, etc.. Still only cold air. Like I mentioned, I get really good heat up front, and fairly quickly but nothing to the back.

There's not a seperate heater core for the rear is there? I'm wondering if maybe I have a bad temp switch/dial in the rear? The dial turns normaly, but that means nothing if the switch is bad. Fan runs fine at all speeds. Temp just wont change from cold air.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Edge:

Yes, there is a rear core. Look under the passenger side of your rig, and follow the lines back to under the rear wheel well. While you are at it, make sure that the lines going back there are getting hot.

Recall that you also have a aux coolant pump under the hood on the passenger side that helps the coolant get back there. Make sure coolant level is up to snuff also.

If all this is ok, you may be a victim of the dreaded flapper valve back there either being broken or stuck.

The worst part of that repair is removing the rear interior panel to get at it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I'll take a look.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, forgot to get back here for the next question, but it appears the lines running to the back are getting hot. That heat is just not getting into the cabin. The coolant level has been good as well. So I'm assuming it is this flapper valve. What panel do you remove, and where is it located, whats it look like, etc.... basically is there anyone here who has ripped into this project and have they posted any pics or info on the project??? Thanks.

As usual, my Haynes manual has absolutely no reference to things I want to repair, etc. :WHT:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.