DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bruce
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have an 08 1500 ram with a level kit on the front.

I do some towing once in a while and load the back with jetskis often. I'm getting a sag in the rear and blinding people with my headlights at night with weight in the rear.

I'm wondering what my cheapest fix is to stiffen the rear when I have weight in it.

I did some reading and it seems like there are helper springs, AAL, and airbags. Are there any type of shocks I can air up when I put a load in the truck?

I'm looking for the lowest cost, yet safest method. I don't really want to go much higher in the rear as my shop carts for the skis are already a couple inches lower than the tailgate.

What is my best option?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I did the add a leaf with my level, very happy with it. Added about 2000 lbs of weight capacity, I haul an 800lb ATV in the back, so it hardly squats at all with the AALs in, but I also have a 2500. Very easy to install as well.;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
I agree, I think that AAL is your best bet.

·
Slow Rider
196 Posts
Added Air Lift, for when pulling travel trailer. Easy install, and levels out real nice. Stock suspension & wheels and tires. Just need to add a 12 volt plug at the back for the air compressor.

·
Ram Pwnage
602 Posts
monroe makes a load assist sensatrac shock which has a coil over spring on it for additional weight handling, but it will make your ride rougher when empty. An air ride system would be the best for adjustment so that the rear end is stiffened only as necessary

·
Bruce
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the air ride setup is a little more costly than a static suspension adjustment though right?

what are some of the options for the air assist?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Air assist is nice, but has a better chance of something needing repair than an add a leaf. Its a quick, fail proof, easy way to add 1 1/2 inches of lift to the rear, and handle heavier loads. VERY inexspensive and easy install as well

·
Double Rammin'
774 Posts
I did air bags on my 3 rams, and I haven't had to touch them to fix them and I abuse the heck out of my trucks. Keeps me stock height, I can air up when I'm hauling, and air down for factory ride when I'm empty. I wouldn't do anything but bags. If your only intent was to help load carrying capacity, air bags, timbrins, Hellwig loadpros or something like that is what I would do, but if you want lift also then AAL.

·
That guy
3,097 Posts
I did air bags on my 3 rams, and I haven't had to touch them to fix them and I abuse the heck out of my trucks. Keeps me stock height, I can air up when I'm hauling, and air down for factory ride when I'm empty. I wouldn't do anything but bags. If your only intent was to help load carrying capacity, air bags, timbrins, Hellwig loadpros or something like that is what I would do, but if you want lift also then AAL.
Airbags are the way to go. You may spend a bit more up front but you will enjoy them much more for as long as you own it. Add a Leaves will raise your rear all of the time and cause a more stiff ride.

You dont have to get onboard air or anything, just fill up your valves with an air compressor when needed.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I add the airlift kits cost about $85.00 took me one and half hrs to install but whatever you go with it will be good to go.

·
Bruce
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up going with the airlift. It cost me around 200.00

easy install and it rides nice with no weight. Haven't tried it with weight yet but I plan on hauling 5 jet skis, gear and three of us from NY to daytona next week. We will see how it works out.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I ended up going with the airlift. It cost me around 200.00

easy install and it rides nice with no weight. Haven't tried it with weight yet but I plan on hauling 5 jet skis, gear and three of us from NY to daytona next week. We will see how it works out.

What kind did you get because the ones I got didn't cost that much?

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Nice to hear you went w/ the bags. I have my set going in soon.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Firestone ride rites never regret it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.