DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 model with an odd passenger's side quarter panel issue. Around a year & a half ago, I noticed a bubble in the paint about a quarter of an inch from the wheel well opening. I took it into a well respected body shop who repainted the quarter. Three or four weeks later, the bubble came back. Being a quality shop, they redid the work for free... Long story short, my quarter panel has been repainted seven times, as well as being cut, partially replaced, rustproofed, undercoated, sandblasted & a number of other things at three different shops. A month after the last work having been done, I again have a bubble in the paint in the exact same spot. Has anyone else experienced this? Could there be a particular route moisture or air is taking on this model that I should be letting these body shops know about? Anything? If not...

What would be a good source for wheel well trim/fender flares? I'm not into the whole chrome dress-up, bling thing, but I would like to find something that looks like it was made to fit my car, rather than cut to fit, stick on moulding. Unfortunately, everything I've come across is either chrome or polished stainless. I would prefer either a ready to paint primer finish, matte black or a carbon fiber look. I guess I could have chrome pieces stripped & painted, or maybe even covered in vinyl, but I'd rather not go that route, especially just to cover a bubble.

Oh, one more piece of info... The bubble is not rust (though I guess it eventually would rust). It's just a bubble, seemingly filled with air, as the second time I had the work done, the owner of the shop sliced the bubble open with a razor blade & said This is just air. By the way, if it matters, I believe the color is called Poppy Red. At least that's the name Advance Auto's book listed it as.

Any help in ether area would be highly appreciated.

·
Neon Master Mechanic
1,090 Posts
You got me man. I can't see how after all that prep work and at diff shops you still have some sort of bubble appearing... If the metal is prepped and paint is applied properly then moisture can't get thru.

Wish I had some light to shed but this one has me stumped.

And I don't know of any fender flares besides the chrome jobs. You could always scuff them up and try primer/ paint on a set tho.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.