DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone else had a rear main seal go out on your dak? i was having my oil changed on my 06 QC and the guy told me i needed to go down to the dodge place and have them look at it. is this a common issue with the 3.7's? the service manager at the dodge house did not seem the least bit suprised that a 30,000 mile truck might be oozing it's lifeblood out on to the driveway. my right rear door's manual lock is all jacked up too. he said that both problems were easily fixed, but the fact that they have to be fixed on a low time truck shocks me. :help:

· Mopar Kid
557 Posts
Yeah the service guys act like everything is nothing..... (yes hi, my engine is on fire!!! well let me take a look at it, o ic well this common for this model) lol I really havent heard of anybody trucks leaking but ya know everytruck is gonna have its f**k ups. So just be glad ur motor is not on fire!

· Registered
161 Posts
Haha... motor fire is most common in the old chevy 3.4 they put in the camaros...but I haven't heard of a rear main seal leak in the daks... very unusual for Dodge engine to do that. The tranny's break a lot, but not the engines.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, that is good to know about the trannys! lol! all i know is that it is still drivable..for now. but it is going in to the shop monday night. they said they could fix the seal and the right rear door lock. i am also looking at a diff fluid change(i will do that one myself, if i can) and a new set of plugs. what plugs? i read on the forum that the stockers are good. is there any room for improvement? if i can help the ol' gal in any way i will usually try. better parts for a better truck.

· Registered
503 Posts
Never heard of anything on a 3.7 having issues with a rear main seal leaking.

as for plugs, stick with your stock NGKs.

· Registered
161 Posts
autolite plugs are also good for our trucks. I've got 51k on my truck and the tranny hasn't broken yet, and I drive it hard... guess that part just comes with being a 21 year-old college student.

· Private Assasin
1,198 Posts
Dumb question: What does your oil level look like? If it's overfill, it will leak out of your rear main until you get the level down.

Before I realized the 4.7 took a few hours to drain down, I overfilled it about a 1/2 quart, and it started leaking. Once I drained the oil down, it never leaked again (Had it another 100,000 miles after that incident).

..and what's wrong with the transmissions? I haven't heard problem one with the 545, and the 42RE ain't bad as long as you maintain it.

· Registered
503 Posts
superdart said:
..and what's wrong with the transmissions? I haven't heard problem one with the 545, and the 42RE ain't bad as long as you maintain it.
Sorry, but the trannies aren't that good. The gearing is fine in them, but the problem, with ALL chrysler automatics, is the cheapo torque converter that we get. It fails and takes the rest of the trans out with it. Not to mention, stock 4.7s with 545RFEs usually have about 22% parasitic loss.

None of the Chrysler automatics since 1994 or so are good...its just a fact of life, because they all have the same cheap junk converters. The 42RE has so much parasitic loss its not even funny.

· Registered
161 Posts
Also, Dodge is known to have weak trannys that die early, especially in the trucks. I worked in the shop at a dealership for a while and that was the most common issue we dealt with, besides oil and warranty work. While I was there, I did get to help install a Viper engine though, which was awesome. (And by helped, I meant, stand there and say "HOLY SH*T!")

· Private Assasin
1,198 Posts
I think the parasite loss on the 42 is intersting, since the 42RE is just an OD 904, which is popular in racing because it doesn't have a lot of loss.

I've never dynoed one, so I can't say anything.

· Registered
503 Posts
superdart said:
I think the parasite loss on the 42 is intersting, since the 42RE is just an OD 904, which is popular in racing because it doesn't have a lot of loss.

I've never dynoed one, so I can't say anything.
But you forget...it has gotten cheaper over the years. They don't even hold up behind Libertys anymore.

· Registered
266 Posts
I will agree that probably the weakest link in Dodges are the transmissions, but when was the last time you were complaining about Dodge engines being unreliable, or differentials burning up, or intake manifolds falling apart? Then compare that to other trucks in the same class such as Rangers, Colorado's, and Tacoma's. Sure supposedly a Tacoma's transmission may last longer before a rebuild but the average Tacoma for the same equipment is at least $4,000 more expensive up front and only carries the same warranty on power train components. Just my thoughts of why I bought a Dodge when you wanna talk bout transmissions.

Spadman I have never heard about stock seals going bad, but I wouldn't blame Dodge for it because they have an independent supplier provide all their seals and every company always has some defectives get shipped out, I know because I work for an auto parts store and we have to warranty about 3-4 a day due to something being wrong and not seal properly. Does your vehicle have manual or power-locks?

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, the folks at David Stanley Dodge got my truck in and out in less than a day! they fixed my rear door lock( manual) and replaced the rear main seal! they did tell me that a 30k service for the truck was due. i asked them out of morbid curiosity what a 30k would cost me out of pocket. the guy there told me, without missing a beat, $265! wow! that is a lot of frog skins to be shelling out for some plugs and filters. am i missing the big value? wouldn't it be cheaper to turn the wrenches myself and save $200? i know we have some people on this forum that works for dodge, please tell me what that 265 will buy me. i do not want to sound like a smart-arse but i nearly laughed at the young man on the phone when he told me the price of the service. thanks

· Registered
161 Posts
Differential service (fluid and seals), oil change, tire rotation, air filter, possibly tranny flush, possible A/C flush, should do A/C check, plus about a 100-point inspection, including ball joints, shocks, u-joints, drivetrain, computer... blah blah. If I had had the money I would have done it... But I'm holding out and saving up for the 60k service, which will be probably next month. I will prob hit 52k this week or early next week. Less than two years on this truck.

· Registered
266 Posts
You must have a 2WD right? I'm betting because when I went to the dealer for the recommended differentials they said it would be $400 just to do the diffs. I got a buddy to do it for some Sonic and beer.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yep. 2wd. i think i can do the diff service and the radiator flush, but the trans flush might have to wait for a little while. the plugs on the 3.7 are right on top! $150 for a plug job! i will be saving a load of money if i can get it all done!

· Registered
28 Posts
yeah my two rear axle seals went twice so far its a good thing its under warranty or im claming lemon law. Oh yeah i had a new rear axle put in too. They said it was slighty bent and that was causing my brake shudder.

· The Cherry Express
4,612 Posts
You dont get much for only 265.00, they get 85.00 an hr. for labor ONLY, add a few quarts of 8.00 fluids, and you get the picture!! You are much better off doing the main. yourself!!

· Private Assasin
1,198 Posts
I do everything myself. It's WAY cheaper. Plugs, tire rotations, oil, trans, it's all easy.

I don't trust them to do the trans service either. Every dealer tells me they don't change the spin on filter in the transmission, just the cartridge. :huh: Sorry, but it's a filter, and it needs to be changed. Seven quarts of ATF+4, one tube of Permatex Ultra Black and two filters.

I even welded a drain plug into my transmission pan to make future trans services a lot easier.

If you don't have a welder, get one of those add on drain lug kits, and JB Weld the housing into the back left corner of the pan. I did my Ram like that (no welder back then) and it never leaked:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.