DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a PW axle in my 99 Ram. I have the following pinout for the connector.

Cavity 1: Rear Locker Source
Cavity 2: Locker Sensor Supply
Cavity 3: Rear Locker Sensor Sense
Cavity 4: Rear Locker Return

I'm imagining pin 1 gets 12V and pin 4 gets gnd to engage the locker and pins 2 and 3 are for the light on the dash. Am I correct in this?

·
Registered
956 Posts
This is a common Q. here and I don't think I can help you. But wouldn't you hear the engagement happening if you applied power to the correct pin ? Also there seems to be a fair amount of used PW axles out there :bawl:, how about SmartBars ? I was thinking of putting one on the rear axle. I think it would be awesome with my pop top camper on...If anyone has/knows where I can get one let me know or PM me. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just dont want to burn up the actuator or something silly like that by wiring it up wrong

What is a "SmartBar"

·
2006 PW Q/C #0026
779 Posts
Murfman,

I havent seen a hard and fast answer to which pins get what power, I suppose you will be the guinea pig?

Fbenross, there is a gentleman that is selling a smart bar or multiple in MT, http://montana.craigslist.org/pts/1024966081.html

It is the electronic disconnecting stabilizer bar. I dont know if it would work but there you go if your interested.

Ryan

·
Registered
417 Posts
Murfman,

I havent seen a hard and fast answer to which pins get what power, I suppose you will be the guinea pig?

Fbenross, there is a gentleman that is selling a smart bar or multiple in MT, http://montana.craigslist.org/pts/1024966081.html

It is the electronic disconnecting stabilizer bar. I dont know if it would work but there you go if your interested.

Ryan
Ohhhhhhhhhhh..........."Smart Bar". Got it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Murfman,

Ryan
Thanks I'll check it out -Ben

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
Hey murf, Before you start playing around with electricity. What I would do is remove the axle cover to get a better view/hearing of the locker engaging or not when giving it the juice. ;)

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
If you've got it open you can probably figure out which wires go to the coils etc you probably only need two of them since you dont need or want the safety or feed back loop

either way take pics :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to have an indicator on the dash showing when its locked, I hooked it up on my Wrangler whjen I installed the Rubicon axles in it.

Side question, on the rubicon, it sometimes requiires me to put it neutral or reverse for a short period for the locker to dis-engage. I imagine its the same routine with the PW axle? If so the light is really handy. I've tried on the Jeep, and I can keep the rear locked for over a mile after shutting it off if I keep a little load on it.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
I've never had that issue with mine, but if their the same lockers than it's possible I suppose

·
2006 PW Q/C #0026
779 Posts
Murf that sounds about right, the lockers are a little finicky on this vehicle. Did you get that connector in yet?I wish I could help you more on the wiring, but all the factory service manual dictates is that the wiring goes straight to the final drive control mounted on the front axle it is what makes sense of everything. I will try and dig a little more see what I come up with.

Ryan

Murf, on edit it woudl seem that Rear locker source and Rear locker return are 16 gauge wires compared to the 20 for the sense circuits. (I am sure you already had figured that much) I am still trying to decipher what is + and - the illumination part might be tricky due to the fact that the FDCM is most likely measuring resistance to determine whether the locker is engaged or not. The FDCM complicates the matter by pulsating the lights depending on what position the switch is in while it switches back and forth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts