DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well add me to the list of clip failures. yesterday i brought my truck to a place to get the diff fluid in front and rear changed, don't have time to do it myself. i stopped in while he had the rear off and i saw the black fluid draining out of the rear. then the guy said to me how not normal that is and ran his finger on the bottom of the rear and came up with the clip and a whole lot of sludge/metal filings.
i would have to say that the case is groved about a quarter of an inch. they checked the front and changed it accordingly.
so i had my truck towed to the stealership and the service mgr said that they are just going to replace the lsd and the case can be grooved past the bolt. i think he is full of it. for those of you with grooved cases, did you get your whole rear replaced???
i am under warranty, 34000 miles, but i feel they are just fixing the minimum because of it.
the mgr also told me i was over for the service time for the rears. he said they have to be serviced every 15,000 miles. is that true??? i thought it was 30,000 miles

·
Been HEMIphied
1,933 Posts
15,000 miles is the change interval for differential fluid.

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
Just like Mazz said, 15,000 miles for the Differential Fluid. After seeing all you guys with the 1500's and having this problem, I am even more happy I bought a 2500!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I see this is an old post, but I have not seen it till now.

Even if you ran past the 15,000 miles to change the oil this is not a oil related failure. It is a junk differential failure. There are a bazillion people who have had this issue and Dodge refuses to do anything about it. If your groove is 1/4" deep you are risking destruction/death/Armegedon. Right where the groove cuts in is the bearing cap bolts bosses. Lots of strain there. It could crack and toss the bolt ruining your day. Go to the NHTSA website and issue a complaint. There is a movment to get as many complaints as possible in there so they may investigate this issue.

Look at this pic. Note the thickness remaining at the bolt boss on top. Scary!

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well dodge gave me a new rear end only after i told the service mgr that just replacing the lsd wasn't good enough. so far everything feels good. i will be checking the oil for any metal filings often now.
i think the reason dodge makes the oil change interval 15,000 miles is that they know they have a faulty product and most people won't change the oil at that interval. so they will then blame the clip failures on the owner not changing the oil. but like my friend told me, the best oil in the world (he actually said whales blubber) wouldn't have stopped the clip from failing. its going to probably take someone to be seriously injured or dead for dodge to address this ongoing issue. i just hope it doesn't come to that.

kevin

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Its not that the differential as a whole is junk, its the LSD unit from the new supplier when they quit buying Dana. Although it does look bad for dodge since its a known problem they refuse to take care of.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Agreed, the 9.25 stopsign is a great axle. It's been around for many a year with great success. But since '02 when they started to use this crappy LSD the 9.25 is junk. If any of you have been "clipped" I sure recommend a complaint to NHTSA and a letter to Chrysler. I'm a true pentastar blueblood. '02 Ram, '05 Stratus, '06 Wrangler Rubicon LJ, and '07 Caliber. My father in law is a retired Chrysler executive, 42 years. But this deal makes me mad. Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.