DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 dakota 4x4 le , I was wondering what rear end it has in it. I know its an 8.25 , but I was wondering what gears are in it, the 3.55 or the 2.95s?

·
Registered
31 Posts
can you lift the rear end up on jacks and spin the rear wheels by hand?

then you count the number of revolutions the drive shaft turns for 1 revolution of the tires.

1 turn of the wheels with 3.5 turns of the drive shaft = 3.55 gears

sometimes its more accurate to turn the wheels 10 times while counting the revs of the drive shaft. then you take the number of turns the drive shaft did and divide by ten

10 turns of the wheel and 35.5 turns of the drive shaft = 3.55 gears

( also some rear ends have a metal tag that is attached to one of the screws holding the cover on. the tag says "3.5" or "2.9" etc. )

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I have the 3.21 in mine, but I have the 318 and a 5 speed... a while back I emailed Daimler Chrysler and asked for a build sheet on my truck -- that's how I found out what mine was. All you have to supply them with is the VIN and they'll send you the factory build sheet with every option and configuration of your truck, including the rear end. Here's the website you need to go to:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright thanks!, Ill put it up on my dads lift sometime and count the driveshaft rotations

·
Registered
6,327 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.