Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
GenII Dakota
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rear End CONFUSION

hello,

ok, to start off.. I know i've posted a lot about this but I am learning and trying to do a project at home.. I've done some research but I keep getting two sets of results on a lot of things..

My first question is what size rear end is on my truck.. I believe it's 8 1/4.. The differential cover is in a Oval shape I believe...

ok, here is my problem.. after this summer our truck should be putting out MAYBE around 500 HP.. even if it doesnt, I would like to have a rear end that could easily hold that up.. So here is my question...

Should I keep my 8 1/4 or upgrade.. I'd feel safer having something bigger but if someone can promise that to be unnecessary then I will just work with my 8 1/4.. I've had someone suggest taking the rear from a GenII R/T and it should bolt right up and is stock with 3.55 gears and Posi unit..

Anyways, the question i would really like answered is should I keep my stock or get something bigger? Keep in mind i'd like it to handle around 500 HP.. and still be able to handle more if needed.. I just dont want to sink a lot of money into a rear end that could possibly just fail me due to lack of strength

PLEASE HELP

Thank you,
-Jason

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
500HP? Wow. Okay the 8.25" rear probably wouldn't hold up...either would the 9.25" I would guess.

I would try and find a Dana 60 rear from a full-size Ram 2500 or 3500 and have it narrowed to fit your truck. The Dana 60 won't have any trouble handling that if it's built properly.

·
GenII Dakota
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would it take to have the Dana 60 made to fit my truck? Narrowed, Custom Axles and Perches right? This doesnt seem like to bad of an idea as long as I get to keep my ABS.. I will be able to, right?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Sure, you could use a rear axle from the same year full size Ram.

Yes you'll probably have to have the Dana 60 (a.k.a. Corporate 60) narrowed which will require the relocation of the spring perches and custom axles. But if you will need it to handle the 500HP you want.

Also, the Dana 60 may also require the use of a larger u-joint at the pinion yoke end of the drive shaft. You may have to have your driveshaft reconfigured to accept a larger u-joint and it's length adjusted accordingly.

·
GenII Dakota
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, this is not a daily driver so all of this is no problem.. Will I have any other issues with brakes? Will the new rear end be Disk or Drum? Well, nevermind.. you said to get it from the same year as my truck.. Did the 92 Rams or any other truck come stock with a Dana 60? And if it does have drums, would they be able to be upgraded to disc?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
They'll all be drum brakes, but there are kits available for a disc brake swap

·
Registered
301 Posts
rear end

If the pumpkin is put together right and you get new axles,I can't see you braking an 8 3/4.An "A" body housing will work with out cutting.With an extra pumpkin you can swap gears in no time yourself.But then RPM and a standard can brake just about anything.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
The last 8.75 rear was built in 1974, BUT there's a ton of parts for them and they're bullet proof. That is a good suggestion.

·
GenII Dakota
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, which would the better investment be? The 8.75 is probably lighter but the 9.25 is stronger.. what else would be a good idea to strengthen the 8.75 besides new axles? I just dont want to put a lot of time and money into something that may not hold up.. what do the new SRT-10s have under them? Its 9.25 isnt it?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I still think you'd be better off with the Dana 60. After all 4spd Hemi cars had them in the 60's.

The 8 3/4" rear was one of Chrysler Corp. best rear ends, but like I said it was last built OE in 1974...so it's an old school rear, that many of today techs. no nothing about. It's similar in design to the Ford 9" but doesn't have the friction problems that the 9" has. Not to be confused with the 8 1/4" rear you are talking about.

·
GenII Dakota
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright...The dana 60 is also referred to as 9.25 isnt it? I was searching around Ebay or somewhere and i believe it was.. I'm going with the Dana 60 just the same.. I'll have to have custom axles as well wont I.. since it's being narrowed... That's fine though.. so a 1992 RAM should have what I need, right?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
No the Dana 60 is not the same as the 9.25....the Dana 60 has a 10.25 or 10.75 ring gear (don't remember which).

You don't necessarily have to go with a '92 rear....anything in the early-mid 90's would probably be okay to use. Just make sure it has the ABS sensor in the housing so you can retain your ABS.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rear end

Good point,I forgot about the ABS.If you get a diff with the ABS censor thats one less thing to try and dissable from pushing up error codes.

·
GenII Dakota
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya, I would go for that but like i said, I would like to retain my current brake set-up..

I have another question, however... What about Dana 44 or whatever.. my search pulls a lot of them up.. are they any good?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I thought those were only front diffs. used on 4x4 trucks? Maybe someone can enlighten me on this as well.

·
GenII Dakota
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dodgevanman said:
I thought those were only front diffs. used on 4x4 trucks? Maybe someone can enlighten me on this as well.
I assume you are talking about the Dana 44... They may be front ends for 4x4s.. im not sure.. I've just found a lot of them around while searching.. I know that they make Dana 60 front ends and rear ends.. and they are MOSTLY used for 4x4 'crawling' applications...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.