DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone else here has had the same issue I am having now. This past summer both my rear brakes began to lock up when applying the brakes at slow speed on pavement. After driving, both drums would get REAL hot, enough to burn your hand. I had the dealership look at them and the first thing they did was replace the drums. They said my shoes looked fine (they were only a year old). After they replaced them they worked really good for a couple days and then the passenger side began to act funny again. They told me that the adjuster cable may be bad on that side. I had both spring kits and adjuster with new cables put on two days ago and now it is back to locking up like that again. The drum doesnt get as hot as it did before, but, it is warm, while the drivers side is ice cold. I am not a mechanic and cannot see what is going on inside the drum, but, what it seems like to me is that something is holding my shoes out and causing them to make contact with the drum while I am driving and when I brake that causes the passenger side to lock up. The ABS is working because it does release and then grab. Anyone have any ideas as to what I need to do to get this thing figured out?

·
Todd O
933 Posts
Well there is a return spring to keep the shoes away from the drum when the brake is not applied. Those might be bad. If it hasn't been more than a year I would take them back there. I saw it happen before when a friend of mine put his brake shoes on backwards and totally destroyed his back brakes. It could be the adjuster that goes between the bottom of the shoes too. The only way to really diagnose what is going on would be to take the drum off. You can do that yourself, you don't have to be a mechanic to do that.

·
Todd O
933 Posts
Allen be careful I wouldn't drive it too much like that!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of the springs, adjusters and adjuster cables on both sides are brand new as of 2 days ago. Is there anything that could cause my shoes to stay outward just enough to make contact with the inside of the drum? Logic tells me that brand new springs should be able to pull the shoes back to the middle. Brand new adjusters and adjuster cables should be able to work fine. Remember, after the guy changed out both sides only the passenger side when back to sticking. Any ideas?

·
Todd O
933 Posts
If there is a combination valve (I don't know) on the durango that could be going bad and doing that or maybe something wrong with the abs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does a combination valve hold pressure? I dont think it is the ABS because as it sticks I can feel it let go and then grab again just like they should only that they feel like they are adjusted tightly. Is it possible that the wheel cylinders that push the shoes outward could be sticking? I dont know enough about how they work to know if they could possibly cause it to stick. I am convinced that something is slightly rubbing on the inside of the drum due to the heat I can feel after driving.

I am theorizing that the shoes are now too far out and slightly rubbing on the drums. That would explain to me the heat and the fact that they lock up. I just need to find out why the drums are staying outward.

·
Todd O
933 Posts
Well if you think they are adjusted to far out you can take the rubber boot off of the back of the drum and adjust them with a screwdriver. Allen I really think you should invest in at least a haynes or chiltons manual they are not that expensive and will tell you a lot about the rango!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
allenj280 said:
Is it possible that the wheel cylinders that push the shoes outward could be sticking?
Yes, it's possible. I just replaced mine a couple months ago-- it's almost foolish not to replace wheel cylinders when you do a brake job because they're only about $11 each. Anyway, mine were so rusted that the rear brakes weren't really working anymore. Yours could easily be sticking. Check if they were replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your brake pistons could possibly be sticking, most likely on both sides. You said your driver side is now ice cold, I would think any kind of friction should create some heat. Lifting your trucks rear end and letting your wheels spin while applying your breaks would be one way of testing your brakes. Also taking off the drums on both sides and visually compare the 2 sides for different wear on both sets of shoes, and maybe measuring to see if there is any difference is piston lenghts and adjustors.

Just don't press the brakes with the drums off..... :bawl:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't do that but what could happen if you did press the brakes when your drums are off??

·
Todd O
933 Posts
Allen have you taken the drum off to inspect the shoes? That is the only way you are going to find out what is going on!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes and there are no signs of any odd wear on the drums. Keep this in mind. The shoes are a year old and have plenty of thickness to them. The drums are a month old and have already been turned once. The springs are all new. The adjusters and adjuster cables are all new. It was doing this on both sides before I had the drums replaced a month ago. Now it is only on the passenger side and it isnt as bad as it was when they both did it.

99-DANGO....You bring up a good point. The drivers side never gets warm after driving. Maybe I am wrong about the problem. Maybe the drivers side isn't actually working for some reason and that is why it looks like the passenger side is too tight. I guess I never thought of that before. The guy that put the new springs and adjusters on last week said that he thought my cylinders were fine, but, 86000 miles and they are original. I think we are going to take another look at it on Monday after I get out of work. The reality here is that in the past year the only mechanical part on my brakes that hasnt been replaced are the cylinders unless I am missing something.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm kinda having the same problem myself. Went to pick up my daughter last night and when i got home my drivers side was so hot you couldnt touch it,but the passenger side was just alittle warm. Does anyone think it could be the rear bearing? Just a thought. Called to have it looked at this morning but cant get it in till monday. If anyone has any suggestions that could be done by me at home please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
allenj280 said:
The guy that put the new springs and adjusters on last week said that he thought my cylinders were fine, but, 86000 miles and they are original.
Mine had about 70,000 miles when I replaced them-- both completely rusted up on the inside without any sign of trouble on the outside. I'd just get them replaced.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is funny. Just today now every time I brake from a long stretch I hear a pop out of the back end. It isnt really loud and you cannot feel it and it seems to happen right after I am stopped, not when I hit the brakes. It sounds like I have something sitting in the back and it is hitting the tailgate when I stop. It doesnt effect how the durango brakes and like i said it isnt really loud. Any ideas??

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Check to make sure the parking/emergency brake cables aren't sticking. Is laid out similair to a van the right side cable is longer and has more bends in it and is more likely than the left to hang-up. Since the cables are connected to levers is each side brake it doesn't take about of friction to cause it to stick, even though there are return springs on the cables themselves under the drum.

·
Todd O
933 Posts
I always replace thw wheel cylinders when I replace the shoes because you have to take them off to get to them. The cylinders are a lot easier to replace than the shoes and you can flush your brake fluid at that time too!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, here is the latest. I took the D down to a local shop that I trust. I had the guy replace both wheel cylinders. The drivers side seemed to be leaking. After that was done on Monday they worked fine until tonight. I have to now clarify what the problem is. I thought that the passenger side was locking up on me, but, it is the drivers side that simply isnt working. What the f**k else to I have to replace in order to get this fixed. New drums, shoes, springs, adjusters and adjuster cables and now new wheel cylinders. The lines have been bled. This will DEFINTLY be the last dodge I ever own in my life. Is there anyone out there that has any idea wtf is going on?

·
Todd O
933 Posts
have you had your master cylinder checked? The only thing I can think of is the adjuster between the bottom of the brake shoes is sticking. Are you sure those were replaced? Did you have someone inspect the combination valve?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.