DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
loose pinion

yes, you are correct the pinion should be tight. :cool: if the pinion is loose you have lost perload and can damage the ring and pinion. since we don't know how long it has been run loose, you should remove the cover to inspect the ring and pinion. you might be able to just tighten it back up to get by for a little while if their is no damage, but i would pull this apart and replace the sleeve and bearings for a correct fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
sorry i did not get back to you before now, to much work and no play, but it sounds like you corrected the problem of the loose pinon, the yoke will move slightly this is known as back lash and can be cked with a dial indicator on the ring gear to the housing. this will measure the back lash.you will need to get a service manual for specs, i would guess about .008 to .015 the bigger the # the more gap to the ring gear. most ring gears set up by useing different size shims to get the clearence that is required. to loose and it will klunk and to tight the ring and pinion will not last to long.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.