DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took off my rear driveshaft as one of the steps in dropping the transfer case, and now I noticed a possible issue with the rear diff.

The pinion yoke has a little bit of in and out play-- that is if I pull and push on it, it will move in and out a very small amount. Does this mean that the crush sleeve is shot and it's lost bearing preload or is this normal?

I've read about rear axels blowing up on people and thought that maybe this is an early sign. Should take off the pinion yoke and replace the crush sleeve?

·
Registered
13 Posts
loose pinion

yes, you are correct the pinion should be tight. :cool: if the pinion is loose you have lost perload and can damage the ring and pinion. since we don't know how long it has been run loose, you should remove the cover to inspect the ring and pinion. you might be able to just tighten it back up to get by for a little while if their is no damage, but i would pull this apart and replace the sleeve and bearings for a correct fix.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I replaced the crush sleeve and torqued to about 22 inch pounds pre-load with a new seal. The gears didn't seem to be in bad shape, and the in-out movement is gone, but now the yoke seems to rotate very slightly to the left or right before it "catches" and starts to turn the axel. It's really only a tiny bit, so again, I'm not sure if that's normal. Is there a tolerance for that kind of motion, or should there be none noticeable?

I guess I should add that I haven't really noticed any strange noises or other symptoms from the rear driveline. Everything is together now and it seems to be working fine. I just don't want to end up with greater damage down the road if I can fix it now.

I haven't really done anything with differentials other than replacing a bad pinion seal and now the crush sleeve, so beyond that I don't really know what I should be looking for-- I'd really like to learn though, so your advice is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
sorry i did not get back to you before now, to much work and no play, but it sounds like you corrected the problem of the loose pinon, the yoke will move slightly this is known as back lash and can be cked with a dial indicator on the ring gear to the housing. this will measure the back lash.you will need to get a service manual for specs, i would guess about .008 to .015 the bigger the # the more gap to the ring gear. most ring gears set up by useing different size shims to get the clearence that is required. to loose and it will klunk and to tight the ring and pinion will not last to long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.