DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Oh, I have the regular bilstein HD's in the front of mine. there awesome! 56 bux apeice at shockwarehouse. cant go wrong.

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
Oh, I have the regular bilstein HD's in the front of mine. there awesome! 56 bux apeice at shockwarehouse. cant go wrong.

I blew my front one.. again.. 3rd one.. So I need something better than stock. You got a part number?!

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
06 Dodge Ram QC TRX4
344 Posts
so the part number you gave us, they bolt up no problem? and the springs that are on the shocks are what we need? or do we have to get the better springs like u have to get the lift?

garrett

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The part number in POST #23 was for mike, thats for the front Bilstein Shocks. you have to dissasemble the strut to replace the shock.

The Monroe coil overs already have springs on them ready to bolt on. you dont need to do anything to them. I replaced mine because the previous owner had already replaced the stock rears with towing gas charged ones and they rode like crap. WAY too stiff. Even with my higher rated springs the older shocks were stiffer. so I have no idea what kind they were.

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
REAR COIL OVER SHOCKS: MONROE Part # 58640

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
So the fronts are just the struts. You'll need to disassemble the strut right?

I'm going to order these soon with some limiting straps to keep them from topping out.

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
they top out all the time. i dont think straps with help because the shock is designed to hold the max out tension of the spring.

yes, you have to dissesemble the strut to replace the shock. It took me right at 90 miuntes per side to do it and I even ran into a problem on each side too. I did have air tools tho which makes the strut compressor 100 times easier. ;D

if you have a leveling kit you dont even have to take it off. unless you LK doesnt have a hole in the middle to get to the nut on the top of the shock.

TIP: start praying WD-40 in the hole on top of the shock everyday until you change them. Itll make it easier to get the nut off if you do. I had the use visegrips on the shock shaft to keep it from spinning and had to work the nut back and forth to break the rust free and get it off.

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hers the pic of the front one mike, Its the best angle I could get. but like I said. Its just the shock rod that goes up from it and it bolts to the top plate of the spring to hold it in place.

And yea, its a TON better. not more 80's Cadillac bouncing while going down the road.

Attachments

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
OK! Very cool! Thanks man. From the photos I've seen they appear to be shocks. These look just like the ones I have.. only mine are red. haha

Great. I hope to order them here soon.

From what I can tell, I keep blowing mine cause my level kit is pulling the factory strut beyond the extension point. I can tell cause the cap on the top appears to be bulging out.. That is why I want to get limiting straps.

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yea, there just replacements.

What cap on top? the rubber bump stop on the rod shaft? :dunno:

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
Yeah, mine has a silver cap on top. It's impossible to get a picture of it but its bowing up where the other side is not.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.