DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 quad cab 360/auto 4X4 and the rear brakes at times will grab when the brake peddle is lightly applied at slow speed. At higher speeds in an emergency stop situation the rears will lock up very easily. I am not sure weather to lean towards the master cylinder or the proportioning valve. Any thoughts or experiances would be appreciated.

Thanks! :gr_patrio

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't belive the rears are overly tight, I had checked the rear pads awhile back and I was able to pull the drums off. I may try bleeding the fronts and see if that makes a difference. The strange thing is a have a good pedal, that's why I was leaning towards proportioning valve or maybe master cylinder.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
these may sound stupid but did you check the axle seals to see if there leaking. If they are the gear lube on the shoes and drums will cause them to lock up. the proportioning valve rarely goes bad. brake master would be your best bet. if you lost the frt brake cyclinder of the master it would cause your problem. you might try bleeding the frt brakes ram15

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
:gr_patrio Sounds like the anti-lock ain't working. I would guess check the sensor and wiring.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Any progess on this problem? I have the same issue on my truck so I'm hoping you get it figured out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had The Same Problem, Proportioning Valve Was Replaced And The Problem Stopped. Now Its Doing It Again, This Comes After I Locked Up My Brakes Avoiding A Deer In The Road

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having same problem with mostly just the passenger side rear locking... going to replace shoes, springs, and cylinders for rear as they are already worn out... dealer said everything was brand new when I bought the truck 6 months ago, I am having a hard time believing.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
^ Had the same problem and turns out the shoes, while not worn out, were bad. They looked like they were, for lack of a better term, weather rotted.
I would apply light pedal to stop and the rear end would start to lock, then the ABS would start pulsing.
They had been on the truck for about 3-4 years.
Anyway, replaced the rear shoes, cleaned inside the drums with brake parts cleaner, and bled. No more lock-up.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have this problem on my truck as well. Everything worked great untill I replaced the brake shoes then they started to grab. I tried backing of the adjuster on both sides, but it came back after a few miles. Then I figured it must be some brake fluid leaking onto the pads from the wheel cylinder, so I took everything apart to find that the wheel cylinders squirting out fluid when the pistons were pressed back. I replaced both wheel cylinders AND replaced my shoes with brand new ones as well as had my drums turned. All was good for about 300 miles and now the problem has returned and is just terrible. (My ABS unit is fine)
I think have narrowed it down to 3 fixes I may try soon:
1: bleed the front brakes
2: Replace the shoes with a different brand (maybe my knockoff brand are junk?)
3: Replace my master cylinder.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I want to agree with the bad shoe post. Every time it is raining and damp, my brakes lock up or almost lock at the first application, usually backing out of the driveway. A friend has a 2001 1500 and his does the same thing. He claims he is due for rear brakes and we will take a look at the shoes for any abnormalties. His truck is a weekend toy and mine is a dd, so I do not think this is due to driving style.

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
replaced rear shoes springs and cylinders and bled all 4 corners... seems to have done the trick so far... has been a week with wet weather

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.