DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchase a rear axle off a 2004 dodge ram which has disc brakes. If I swap that o to my 1985 dodge ram d 150 what all will I have to change. Will I need to replace the porpotion valve. I heard wilwood ha e a adjustable one. It there any other items need to be replace. Second question is that do dodge have a 5spd trans that will bolt onto a 5.9 small block or just get a 727 and use a gear ration of 323. Will that help my hwy miles.

·
Red Trucker
2,118 Posts
Need to check if the spring perches are the correct width. A new proportioning valve is a good idea, as the brakes on the newer rear may very well be as large or larger than your stock front ones. Wilwood does have an adjustable one you'd have to plumb in. 5sp auto or 5sp manual?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
5spd automatic that will bolt up to my 5.9, I have a 727 with a 355 only torque. No hwy mileage. I read about the 518 its a 727 with overdrive. Is that any better.

·
Red Trucker
2,118 Posts
518 is literally an A727 small block trans with an overdrive bolted on and would be perfect for your application since it is still a hydraulically controlled trans. Should actually be a bolt in, just need the correct length driveshaft, then a simple two pole switch for OD off or on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts